Kingies in North Harbour

AHI SLAYER

Went out fishing yesterday afternoon to my favourite spot in North Harbour. Used Woolies Brand cat food IMO the best burley out there. Within minutes had thousands of Yakkas and ballyhoo all over. Caught a couple of livies then the school spooked. Dropped one down and hooked a salmon about 60cm. When I brought it up it was plagued with Rat kings est. up to 60cm. Caught one more and a rat. then decided to slow troll a yakka around the shore near heading towards middle head. On my way back I got absolutely slammed, fish took about 70m. I tried to get it to deeper water but this is no easy feet when in a 11ft tinny in a 25km headwind. Eventually broke me off. I am guessing this would have been a metre fish easy.

They are out there!!

If you are just out there for fun and cant get the rats to bite I suggest white bread dipped in cat food. I have caught tonnes like this.

Good luck

I'm relatively new to the fishing world. My Dad and I used to go fishing on the Macleay River every morning. Caught lots of Bream, Flathead and eels. But that was many many years ago and since am now in semi-retirement am attacking it with a vengeance once more. I've gotta say this sight is absolutely fantastic. So many tips; so much info shared by the professionals that I find myself going back to reports many times over.Would be great if one could capture it all in one location and publish it as a newsletter.

One thing I am at a loss tho...give it age, but I do puzzle over some of the names you guys give for fish. :Like...what's a Yakka; a Ballyhoo; a Rat King (guess that must be a small Kingfish...and livies. Does anyone have a list of fish names with their equivalent in the Oz language?

I fish a with an egg sinker (weight depending on what depth I want it to go down to) to a 50lb flurocarb leader wingspan length in a forward Idle at two seperate depths... I am not from Aus, so I just fish Hawaiian Style.... Use a balloon when I am stationary in the Burly trail, but I prefer to look for them, as my tinny(5hp) is too small to go to the really good structural spots outside North Harbour.

I'm relatively new to the fishing world. My Dad and I used to go fishing on the Macleay River every morning. Caught lots of Bream, Flathead and eels. But that was many many years ago and since am now in semi-retirement am attacking it with a vengeance once more. I've gotta say this sight is absolutely fantastic. So many tips; so much info shared by the professionals that I find myself going back to reports many times over.Would be great if one could capture it all in one location and publish it as a newsletter.

One thing I am at a loss tho...give it age, but I do puzzle over some of the names you guys give for fish. :Like...what's a Yakka; a Ballyhoo; a Rat King (guess that must be a small Kingfish...and livies. Does anyone have a list of fish names with their equivalent in the Oz language?

Hi Michael and welcome. Let me help with a few of those names.

Yakka = yellowfin scad

Ballyhoo = garfish

Rat king = smaller than legal kingfish

Hoodie = bigger than average kingfish

Livies = live baits such as yakkas, garfish, slimeys, mullet, tailor etc

Jews = mulloway

fin = yellowfin tuna

queens = queenfish

trevs = trevally

slimeys = slimey mackeral

couta = barracouta

hairies = hairtail

blackfish = luderick

pig = drummer

sambo = aussie salmon or also samsonfish

That is all I can think of in my current tired state but if you come across others you are not sure of just ask.

Luc = me. ;)

Edited by Trout Stalker