Steering to port issue

Belligero

Hi All,

The boat is going very well at the moment. Just about done changing all the wiring which will now run to a switch. Put in new LED lights & did some painting and buffing etc

The motor is running great, Doesn't chew through fuel as bad as I thought it would. Starts first time every time which is a big plus.

However, I have found a small issue with the steering. I can turn fine to the right, It's quick with a small turning circle. When turning to the left it's a different matter. It's like trying to turn a road train. I have just been dealing with it as it's manageable however it gets annoying when trying to pull up to a wharf. By sight it doesn't appear to be using the full length of the steering rod, This might be normal?

I will have it looked at when I get it serviced however I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the issue?

Some motors have a small fin under the cavitation plate that can be rotated to correct for the boat pulling one way.

As I understand it (Huey would know more) the problem may be caused by the rotation of the prop pulling the stern across.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks for the reply,

I have changed the fin that you mentioned which didn't make a huge difference.

Should I change it further? I don't want to mess up the steering in both directions and I feel that may happen if I keep on move it.

Cheers

Hi, the trim tab will only affect steering when the boat is on the plane and if a boat pulls to say the right, turn the trailing edge of the trim tab the same way. From what you are saying it seems the steering is tight at low speeds (like when coming into a wharf and if so it is probably tight when on the trailer too). If that is the case the steering cable or helm will need to be inspected. If not then try moving the trim tab and be aware that the engine will want to trimmed correctly when at planning speeds because that will affect the steering both left and right if not at its best trim angle.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, you did not say if it is tight when the boat is on the trailer and if so, hard to quote without knowing if the cable or helm is at fault and then what brand steering system you have. Worse case is you need a new helm and cable (which is not a bad idea anyways due to being a lot better than older designs) and so around $350 gets the new helm and cable. If it is a trim tab fix easy to do yourself and pay attention to what I said about making sure the engine is trimmed out when up on the plane-an engine fully trimmed in when on the plane is hard to steer and the steering becomes neutral as you trim her out to the correct position for the speed.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Mate, hard to say what it might cost but yes if both the helm and cable need to be done that is about what those two parts cost and then there is the labour to do the job and trust me some boats require the engine to be removed so that the old and new steering cable can be installed in the tilt tube. Then some engines require the tilt tube to be reamed to allow the new cable to work freely. That is why it is very hard to quote any job without seeing the boat.

Being a Raider you will get trade prices on parts so we will look after you.

Cheers,

Huey.

Alright great, It's a 1994 Johnson 70HP so not exaclty new.

I can live with the steering at the moment, Just tricky business with a cross wind.

Will contact you when I want it looked at as I will want a service on the motor if possible too.

Thanks!

Hi Shaun, just a thought but have you greased the motor where the steering tube is? Often an older motor or one that has sat around a lot can stiffen up. There should be two grease nipples on the vertical tube on the motor, grease until you see a bit of fresh stuff popping out the top and bottom then try spinning it from full lock one way and back again. Another quick check to see if it's the helm or the actual motor is to unbolt the steering rod where it joins the front of the motor, try turning the motor side to side by hand and then make sure the steering rod is clear of everything and give the helm a spin. A bit of lanolin spray on the rod wouldn't hurt either, I'm not a big fan of grease on these as they tend to dry up and seize, especially if they don't get enough use. Good luck!