Caught a few kings - and a rope off Barrenjoey

Bracey

G'day guys. Posting this just to give a heads up for anyone that fishes off the Valiant wreck off Barrenjoey. We were out yesterday and were doing drifts across the wreck jigging when we got a rope caught around our prop. It was taught and still attached to the bottom. Thankfully we got it off without any damage after a lot of effort. Managed a couple of just legal kings there then headed for the FAD. Lots of dollies, water 24.5 degrees so get out there.

Went via the Valiant again on the way home running the same sort of drifts and spotted another rope, tight to the bottom and just under the surface. I assume boats are anchoring without a pick and getting stuck, cutting the line and leaving it for the next boat to come across. I'll ring Waterways tomorrow.

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude

G'day guys. Posting this just to give a heads up for anyone that fishes off the Valiant wreck off Barrenjoey. We were out yesterday and were doing drifts across the wreck jigging when we got a rope caught around our prop. It was taught and still attached to the bottom. Thankfully we got it off without any damage after a lot of effort. Managed a couple of just legal kings there then headed for the FAD. Lots of dollies, water 24.5 degrees so get out there.

Went via the Valiant again on the way home running the same sort of drifts and spotted another rope, tight to the bottom and just under the surface. I assume boats are anchoring without a pick and getting stuck, cutting the line and leaving it for the next boat to come across. I'll ring Waterways tomorrow.

Cheers, Bart

That sound dangerous alright. How would you get if off other than jumping in and cutting it? You cant tilt the motor up unless you have some slack. With the prop spinning it could just tighten and pull you under before you notice it.

Your boat would be facing rear into any swell and waves. A rising tide can pull you under depending on how tight it is and how quick you get if off. Geez :1yikes:

That sound dangerous alright. How would you get if off other than jumping in and cutting it? You cant tilt the motor up unless you have some slack. With the prop spinning it could just tighten and pull you under before you notice it.

Your boat would be facing rear into any swell and waves. A rising tide can pull you under depending on how tight it is and how quick you get if off. Geez :1yikes:

Yeah not real good. We were only at about 500 rpm but the motor just cut out. Must be an auto function I guess and then wouldn't restart. Tilted up and saw the problem. My old man bit the bullet and jumped in with the knife. I have also read they could be from divers that mark the wreck with a buoy but then they get cut off by other people. Not sure, either way dangerous and something to be aware of.

Cheers, Bart

post-20875-0-86847300-1394405462_thumb.jpg

Geez mate your old man is a legend for doing that. My braid recently got wrapped around a prop out wide and i really didnt fancy getting in the water. Lucky for me and crew i was able to unwrap from the duck board once fully tilted. I got wet but didnt offer myself as shark bait. Had a few sharks lurking around the boat recently at LR so i prefer to not go in.

Mike

I probably would have tied it to some lead and sent it down, that way you know it's only half the length then.HarryIf it's to good to be true, it usually is...

That would have been a good idea Harry. Didn't occur at the time. We let Marine Rescue know and they said they would pass it on. I kept a good watch for fins I can assure you.

Bart

Was it a fish trap? there are loads down in Pittwater these days, and they're a fairly serious hazard IMHO. They are (usually) marked with a white styrofoam float, about the size of a cabbage and no light - the older floats are not so white and are pretty hard to pick up, especially if the sea is up a bit or if it's dark. The fish trap floats are a regular feature near the wrecks inside and over most reefs inside too, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what was on your prop. A flag and a light would be a welcome addition to the traps' floats.

Was it a fish trap? there are loads down in Pittwater these days, and they're a fairly serious hazard IMHO. They are (usually) marked with a white styrofoam float, about the size of a cabbage and no light - the older floats are not so white and are pretty hard to pick up, especially if the sea is up a bit or if it's dark. The fish trap floats are a regular feature near the wrecks inside and over most reefs inside too, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what was on your prop. A flag and a light would be a welcome addition to the traps' floats.

Could have been I guess but this was about our fourth drift over the exact same spot and we hadn't seen any floats. Fairly sure the rope was just submerged. When we came back the second time we clearly saw a rope of a different colour drifting down current with the end about 6' from the surface and heading back and down to right on the wreck. At least we all carry sharp knives.

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude