TOUGH MORNING ON THE HARBOUR

sydneyelvis

Hi all, we started off at balmoral to grab some yakkas for a go at the kings.

2 hours and 4 million sweep later, we ended up with 2!

We weren't deterred!!!

Then off to middle harbour to a little spot that 2 weeks ago provided hook up after hook up with something that we simply couldn't hold on 8lb line. We were getting smashed on the yellowtail and sweep!

Armed with all the gear necessary to do battle with a hoodlum we were quietly confident.

3 hours later all we had caught was 1 bream that was 32cm. It was taken on a yakka that had its tail bitten off as I was retrieving the bait.

So, I caught yakka to catch kingies that was bitten in half by a tailor but still managed to hook a fat bream!!!

Poor thing had such crappy luck I had to send it back.

Disheartened and deflated we moved on to Grotto Point only to get smoked in the first five minutes then get bored for the next hour.

A look up to the sky told us it was time to head home.

Of course we headed straight in to the storm. Lightning, thunder were spectacular. Howling winds and driving rain were dreadful with most boats being tossed about.

Finally we made it back, wet, tired and fishless.

Still it beats the hell out of working!!!!!!!!

Those sweeps can be a pain of you're after yellowtails. They are faster then the yackas and higher up I think. I know the problem. What kind of gear did you use? I also have a Shimano 6000 with 50lbs mono with me, and that's the one where the yakka get put on, while I use smaller gear. It never gets touched.

Nice rainfall you caught. Heating on in the car? I am sure next time you're luckier. Are you out on Sunday for the Pyrtek fishing comp. We plan to do the same thing as you did this sunday. Balmoral island for Yakkas and then middle head. See you out there.

try mince meat rolling into a pea size for the yakkas when sweep are a pain, it tends to keep sweep away and allow the yakkas to get to it, only hard bit is keeping it on the hook.

Would have been a bit freaky traveling into that storm, was bad enough sitting in the lounge room watching through the window :biggrinthumb:

hahaha try being out on a kayak around north head. luckily saw it coming in time and was able to sprint back to one of the marinas and take shelter whence it hit. the bread and butter fishing was firing for me after the storm past. Nothing like a good storm to keep you on your toes!

Those sweeps can be a pain of you're after yellowtails. They are faster then the yackas and higher up I think. I know the problem. What kind of gear did you use? I also have a Shimano 6000 with 50lbs mono with me, and that's the one where the yakka get put on, while I use smaller gear. It never gets touched. Nice rainfall you caught. Heating on in the car? I am sure next time you're luckier. Are you out on Sunday for the Pyrtek fishing comp. We plan to do the same thing as you did this sunday. Balmoral island for Yakkas and then middle head. See you out there.

hi camel I wont be entering the comp and given recent successes (not!) and the constant jibes from the missus I might sit this weekend out!

hi camel I wont be entering the comp and given recent successes (not!) and the constant jibes from the missus I might sit this weekend out!

I use the fishing comp only as an excuse to fish the whole day, leave 6am and come back at 6pm. Once a year.

I'm not even targetting the species published, I'm happy to catch anything. But shhhhhhht don't spread the news.