Squid going rock hard when dying

mike2153

Hi guys I've got an issue with y squid that I catch each morning for a king session, I don't have a live tank and don't have room for one so I have to try my best to keep them alive in a bucket but they do die, I like to downrig them whole or use the head and eat the hood, seeing as I never have luck downriggin strips as they always spin no matter te hook or setup I use.

My problem is when the squid die they go really hard then when you try to downrig them they spin and don't present nicely through the water because there rock hard, I've downrigged thawed out squid from the bait shop and that isn't hard like these fresh squid I'm catching, any ideas as to why. It's just like rigor mortis kicks in, can I avoid this?

Kill them before they die.

You can use a tool (like a small screw driver) or I've even seen it done with like a karate chop to the top or behind the head. I've never done it but they have more than one brain location. You'll know you've got it right because they will go white. One place for the head two places for the body. Sorry can't post a link as not allowed but Google will be your friend

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cluster13

Guest Aussie007

seen a fishing show on tv the other week a special squid episode u grab the squid between the eyes and the hood i guess u could say around its head and squeeze tightly and the squid dies in a few seconds and turns white

I think the guys are saying kill them straight away instead of putting them in a bucket of water and letting them die slowly. That's what's making them go hard.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

If you kill squid straight away, they wont go hard. They will NOT last very long at all in a bucket live. kill em, then chuck them into the bucket of water. Dont be too concerned if there is some ink coming from the squid in the bucket. It will not affect the bait quality.

I personally use the karate chop method to kill em. I cant see the point in spending $20 for an Ika shime, when there are other methods that are as effective. For others giving it a shot, you dont need to be all that firm with the smaller squid.. First time i tried it, i shot the squids head off back into the water and ended up giving the concrete jetty a good whack instead. Only need to kill a few squid to work it out.

DO NOT let the squid see fresh water. They will harden up near on instantly to the consistency of a plank of wood.

In my experience this hardening process or the main squid tube going stiff after the squid has been dispatched only occurs in the arrows not the southern calamari type.!

I am going with that as well. I leave Southern squid that have died in the bait tank with water or throw them in the esky with ice and they never harden at all.