Weekend attempts - Entrance, Spit Bridge

SgtBundy

Managed to fit in a few goes on the weekend. First was Saturday afternoon up at North Entrance again. Wandered along the outgoing channel trolling a small hardbody lure as I made my way over to the surf. Moved around between a couple of people who seemed like they had been trying for a while and right between them got a just shy of keepable flathead - I think I copped a couple of annoyed looks for that. Sent him back.

Moved up to the channel exit near the surf and kept going with the lure. After about 3 minutes there got a 43cm sandy flathead that I took home for mum. At this point a guy who had been sitting with his gear waiting for the current to slow down jumped up and had a go - I think I gave him some hope. Kept going up until dusk with only another undersize flathead but nothing else, however the other guy picked up an ok bream and flathead.

Then on Sunday after completing the home chores I ducked out for a few hours around the Spit bridge. Spent the time bouncing some soft plastics but only got them destroyed by choppers, nothing serious seemed to be about. Not sure if it was the storms rolling through had put them off but it was pretty quiet out - not many fishing. There seemed to be plenty of activity in the water though with small schools of tailor and some bream/tarwhine milling about, and plenty of mullet schooling around the marina.

I am not sure, but I think I saw something that resembled a 60cm kingfish swim straight along the rocks in front of me, twice. Teasing bastard.

Then over around the bridge footings I could have sworn I saw what looked like a Blue Groper swimming around the reef like area. Very distinct blue colour and about the shape of one, do they inhabit the harbour in that area?

Hi SgtBundy, I also fished The Entrance area over the weekend for little return - plenty of undersized whiting from the beach and a few nice blackies from the ocean rocks. Re: groper at The Spit, I saw one from the bridge a few years ago. It was the last thing I expected to see there but there must be a few around.

The groper definitely made me do a double take - always thought of them as a tropical species and certainly would not have thought of them just cruising around the shore that far in the harbor, but there you go.

Mate I have clearly seen kings & blue groper cruising that part hard against the shoreline at the spit - I have caught kings there on plastics but never tried for the groper. Incidentally there were 2 big blueys rolling around in crystal clear water next to a wharf in port hacking on the weekend, had some people very excited!

I tried putting the plastic ahead of the king the second time I saw it but he was cruising past pretty quick so I might have missed it. Only ever fished for bream and flathead before though, but seeing all the stuff about kings on here I was keen to have a go. Even if it was only with 6lb mono and a very light rod setup!

Try fishing at the top/bottom of a tide when the current is minimal, 5" white flickbait or similar thrown hard against the bridge pylons - though i agree 6lb is seriously under gunned for that type of thing

At that time I was fishing up to the bottom of the tide with some Gulp pumpkinseed minnows, the choppers loved them at least. I bought this setup for Bream/Flathead but I am now looking for something heavier to setup to see if I can have a go at some kingfish.

Until you had to respool your reel hehehe.

True :)