Hooking a Kingfish on a Yakka rig

Michael Pitt

Now I can say I've hooked a Kingfish. Can't say I've landed one though .Never have but one day maybe!. Happened to me twice. Once yesterday and early this morning. Fishing for Yellow Tail off a wharf so I could see directly down into the water. Yesterday was Sunny so could see right to the bottom, today cloudy but could still see. Crazy really. A tiny piece of salted Yellow Tail on a size 10 hook on a light line from a short rod when all of a sudden out zips the line, nearly tearing the rod from my hand. Of course, the line snapped just like a piece of cotton. But nevertheless, exciting to see. So close but yet so far.

Could have been the same bugger that stole your rod ,or one of his gang.

Yeah, could've been. But,after that fiasco on Monday I immediately went out and bought a new combo on Tuesday, fished with it yesterday (after the excitement of the Kingfish died down) and pulled in this 1.2kg Snapper.This is in the harbour so was quite surprised to see something so big. Should I be surprised or not? Are there big Snapper in the harbour? Anyway, maybe losing my original rig was the best thing ever. Learnt a lot from that.

Now I can say I've hooked a Kingfish. Can't say I've landed one though .Never have but one day maybe!. Happened to me twice. Once yesterday and early this morning. Fishing for Yellow Tail off a wharf so I could see directly down into the water. Yesterday was Sunny so could see right to the bottom, today cloudy but could still see. Crazy really. A tiny piece of salted Yellow Tail on a size 10 hook on a light line from a short rod when all of a sudden out zips the line, nearly tearing the rod from my hand. Of course, the line snapped just like a piece of cotton. But nevertheless, exciting to see. So close but yet so far.

Bad luck mate. It kind of sounds like your drag is not working properly or it may be set a little too tight. The line shouldn't snap in that situation unless it is bitten off. Just ask or PM me if you need some more advice.

Legal Snapper have been increasing in the harbour ever since the commercial licence buy back.

They have always been there and over fished since year dot

The buy back has given the pinkies we all know the chance to grow up.

In the late 19 th century steamer charter boats operated in and out of Sydney. 40+ people

aboard, they would cover the deck with snapper, a craze called

Gradually fishing the harbour and coasts until they became unproductive.

Not to mention more modern commercial fishing and pawning operations.

Try to get the book "Angling in Australia" by Bob Dunn. Great history of our fisheries.

A great read for anyone who loves fishing.

Your catch goes to show our licence fees are paying off now and for the future.post-33162-0-29523200-1396611954_thumb.jpg