Watts reef

jacko123

What are you looking to catch? Watts Reef can an offer a lot of possibilities but you need to know what you want to catch. Have used Watts to catch live bait (yellowtail) on the way out to use outside. It is also good for larger species, at times, but suggest you need to have a goal in mind, just going out and hoping for the best rarely works.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you looking to catch? Watts Reef can an offer a lot of possibilities but you need to know what you want to catch. Have used Watts to catch live bait (yellowtail) on the way out to use outside. It is also good for larger species, at times, but suggest you need to have a goal in mind, just going out and hoping for the best rarely works.

i wish just wondering what i could find there and what i should do to optimise time

Guest stephanb79

Mate you should find kings around the 6 meter to 9 meter drop off if trolling live baits or burly up and and see what come around im going there next week if the weather is good

Mate you should find kings around the 6 meter to 9 meter drop off if trolling live baits or burly up and and see what come around im going there next week if the weather is good

where do u get ur livies from? and i dont have a sounder/fish finder :(

Thinking of heading out to botany bay, thinking watts reef. Ayone been there? whats it like? or should i go somewhere else?

any info's appreciated.

cheers jacko

Watts reef used to be a top spot for Bream at night. A better daytime spot for Bream is the Mussel beds near the channel marker in line with the old Mick Moylans pub. I like to fish a rising tide with a long trace. leave the rod set in a rod holder, use circle hooks and the Bream will catch themselves. A little burley (chicken pellets and/or pilly cubes)will help but make sure that you fish in the burley trail.

Following are pics of some fish caught on the mussel beds a couple of years ago.(Click on the pics to make them full size)

Cheers

Paikea

Looking shoreward from the beds.

Some stonker bream in the live well.

The catch.

Edited by Paikea

Guest stephanb79

HEY paikea

nice bream vey nice even like those kingys !!!!!

do you still go there for a fish????

and i like the live bait well what boat are you in

Watts reef has some very large boulders, and the fish have pathways through these boulders.

One boat can be catching fish and another boat 3 metres away will catch nothing.

Fish the incoming tide at night for tailor and bream, if catching nothing, make small moves

untill you get over one of these channels that the fish are using.

Hiyah all.

I will be fishing there as soon as I can, maybe next week. Yes the Kingie was caught in the same spot, ditto some Flathead.

The boat is a Trailcraft 5.2 Pro-Fish heavily customised by me including fitting two windows in the live well. (details of how to fit a window are in another post of mine from earlier this year) A great boat to fish from but too wet for me at my age. Ha Ha. That is why I changed to the 1800 Tournament, cuddy cabin, clears, dry as a bone!

Grandad, your comments are news to me, explains a lot. Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

(another grandad)

Guest stephanb79

nice job looks good i have a good freind of mine how has a 2100 tournament whic is 3 years old great boat

i am going to give it ago this weekend if the weather lets me i have a brand new 489 stacer baymaster !!!! what the best time to go there night or day or dosnt matter ??? and can we drop down some lives there aswell ???

I like fishing a run in tide during the day. Early morning or mid afternoon is good (subject to the tides co-operating. let us know how you get on.

A livey is always worthwhile anywhere, Kingies roam far and wide.

Cheers

Paikea