Getting a grip on the rocks

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

For those who fish from the stones, we know it's essential to have non slip footwear, in my teens I went for the only thing around which was around that I knew of and that was the bolt on cleats.

Served me well for a long time, but I wanted to move with the times, so I got some of them rock hopper boots with the tungsten spikes, awesome at first, but the spikes wore fairly quickly, which I went on to add trek screws which also worked well for a while, but under my weight (we'll just say over 100 kg :) )the boot began to loosen and became extremely uncomfortable.

Next was the ice cleats which are held around your shoe with an elastic type rubber. Fanatastic at first, but over time I noticed it squashes my big toe, great apart from that, but still uncomfortable enough for me to want to find somthing else.

Decided to go back to where I started... Bolt on cleats

Posted Image

So while looking around I found a place where I can save a few bucks and buy them directly from the guy that makes them. Rider and bell at peakhurst, hardened steel with the proper flat bolts. $22 for the deluxe set and there's a cheaper set for $20.

Going home now to drill some holes in old pair of sand shoes...

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Hi raiders

For those who fish from the stones, we know it's essential to have non slip footwear, in my teens I went for the only thing around which was around that I knew of and that was the bolt on cleats.

Served me well for a long time, but I wanted to move with the times, so I got some of them rock hopper boots with the tungsten spikes, awesome at first, but the spikes wore fairly quickly, which I went on to add trek screws which also worked well for a while, but under my weight (we'll just say over 100 kg :) )the boot began to loosen and became extremely uncomfortable.

Next was the ice cleats which are held around your shoe with an elastic type rubber. Fanatastic at first, but over time I noticed it squashes my big toe, great apart from that, but still uncomfortable enough for me to want to find somthing else.

Decided to go back to where I started... Bolt on cleats

Posted Image

So while looking around I found a place where I can save a few bucks and buy them directly from the guy that makes them. Rider and bell at peakhurst, hardened steel with the proper flat bolts. $22 for the deluxe set and there's a cheaper set for $20.

Going home now to drill some holes in old pair of sand shoes...

Harry

same price i sell them at work for didnt save much

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Somethings never change.

I found a set of these in my shed on the week end in my annual ( read every decade or so) clean up which must have been 30 years old if they were a day. I know this because I moved through the same evolution in rock footwear as you by the sound of it. I used to live at Kingsford and fished Maroubra when I used these in my early 20's.

Still in the original packaging which, except for the faded colours, is exactly like the packaging in your picture.

They had a price tag on that I think reads $8.50. Based on the average wage at the time that was a lot more money proportionally that you paid for yours today. Mind you, I used to wear my rock cleats on Dunlop Volleys which were cheap as chips in those days. Today they are a designer shoe so when you add any of today's sandshoes ( joggers) together it may end up the same cost

Ah, the memories, it's enough to make me want to fish off the rocks again.

Edited by fragmeister

Somethings never change.

I found a set of these in my shed on the week end in my annual ( read every decade or so) clean up which must have been 30 years old if they were a day. I know this because I moved through the same evolution in rock footwear as you by the sound of it. I used to live at Kingsford and fished Maroubra when I used these in my early 20's.

Still in the original packaging which, except for the faded colours, is exactly like the packaging in your picture.

They had a price tag on that I think reads $8.50. Based on the average wage at the time that was a lot more money proportionally that you paid for yours today.  Mind you, I used to wear my rock cleats on Dunlop Volleys which were cheap as chips in those days. Today they are a designer shoe so when you add any of today's sandshoes ( joggers)  together it may end up the same cost

Ah, the memories, it's enough to make me want to fish off the rocks again.

Wow might be the same guy who made them... Old bloke, Terry in his early 70s I'd say.... Mine on are on a set of volleys as well....

I use the same ones. My first rock shoes lasted almost 10 years only to have the shoe lace eyelets rust out. I'm current using a nice pair of old Brooks joggers- no metal. Some weird gel stuff came out when I drilled through, and I has to get some longer threads, but they're super comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the same ones. My first rock shoes lasted almost 10 years only to have the shoe lace eyelets rust out. I'm current using a nice pair of old Brooks joggers- no metal. Some weird gel stuff came out when I drilled through, and I has to get some longer threads, but they're super comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He must supply the whole of Sydney...

I used to use the same cleats on a pair of swimming shoes. The first time I used them I had only done the bolts up enough to grip but not squash the rubber sole so when I stood on the I ended up standing on the bolts, not comfortable. Went home, tightened the bolts as hard as I could go and they lasted years.

One thing I found with that type of cleat is they only held well in one direction. I found they slipped sideways a lot when I used them which is why I changed.

I fished the rocks for many years and found cleats a pain in the you know where. Found plastic sandlels with many nodules and then screw s/s self tappers into them, no worries.

Used to chase Tuna along the rocks at Avoca, no way could you run with cleats. These shoes never let you down.