Pittwater Kingie on yak

Sharkie

Hi guys

Been following all the posts closely over the summer here on the forums(thanks to all), hoping to catch my first Kingfish on the kayak, luckily it all fell into place on Monday at Pittwater.

With the weather looking good for the day I launched just after 6am looking to catch a few calamari. Been tough recently to catch a good number and after a few hrs of drifting along the shoreline I knew I was in for another tough day, luckliy at around 9am I managed to catch 2 large calamari within quick succession at Avalon Sailing club. After trying for a another 30 min I thought that was as good as it was going to get and hooked up my first squid for the trawl and head north along the shore.

After an hour of paddling I hadnt come across any bait balls and thought it was going to be one of those days again but luckily within minutes I came across a massive bait ball with it even throwing the sonar out with the shear volume of fish below me. Affer a few circles my rod suddenly buckled and I knew it had to be the kings! After a short fight it managed to get off with the squid too. I was down to my last squid for the day and the sun was starting to get high, I knew this was the final throw of the dice! Within minutes of hooking up the second calamari the rod buckled again and i was on! After a good 5min run the fish tired and I had my first legal (65cm)Kingie from the kayak!

Thanks to all the regular posters, helped me a lot!

Well done. He would have given you some fun on a yak.

Are there always squid around Avalon Sailing Club ??? I've had trouble finding a place in Pittwater where you know you will catch them.

Mate of mine drifts through the moored boats with squid jigs and pilchards rigged up on the metal squid spike things and picks up squid it is also worth putting a 4/0 hook on the bait as well as he often gets small kings eat his pillies

Is that around Avalon Sailing Club ??

Witha iv seen guys use anything from a bream rod to some crazy nz guy jig for them using 24 kilo jigging gear what im planning on is a 5-10 or 6-8 kilo rod with a 4000-5000 size reel loaded with 12-15 lb braid gonna be bait and sp rod

Thanks mate yeah I've been thinking the same, light enough but heavy enough. Gotta replace an outfit I just got as i think its ridiculously unbalanced/not what I should be using for any casting distance

.cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What do you have mate? And how do you plan on fishing? If baiting its better to go heavier im going lighter because im going to be casting jerkshads and curl tail grubs around for them as well as baitingSent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

One main big fish setup which I just got on impulse and isn't working for long casts: 6-8kg catana 701snapper with an abu cardinal s60 with 30lb braid, works well for dropping a bait but having issues with massive knots forming in the braid when throwing big jerk shads long distance, most likely the reel but maybe the rod isn't designed for it. So thinking of a proper sp rod with a 4000ish size for the lure work

hey witha, i've been carrying two rods with me of late, one for the squid, light plastcis and for trolling rapala's - about a 5kg outfit with diawa 2500. The other for kingies is an 8-10kg gold ugly stick, saragosa 5000 with 10kg braid, loving the saragosa especially with the amount of water it gets and it doesnt break the bank...

Cheers guys, yeah I've got my ultralight bream nitro 1-3kg with sustain 1000 4lb fireline exceed, then 3-5kg sonic pro with a sienna 2500 with 10lb powerpro. Just getting that top end sorted with the catana :) thanks james I've gotta cut out a wind knot anyway so hopefully that will take it down to manageable