Which squid jig?

stevefish

On. A thread like this a few years ago, I followed the consensus and got a pink 1.8 yamashita. Then I asked at the LTS and was recommended a silver/grey 2.0 yamashita. I have since added a couple more but have now boxed myself into 1.8 -2.0 yamashitas. All others seem to be a last resort or do not get used.

What jigs are others using and how do you select which one to start with?

Cheers

Steve

The green and gold yamashitas have always been deadly for me down here in Merimbula in the 2.5. Pinks and reds go well as do the greeny silver ones but they have issues jumping onto other yamashitas I use in colours other then that. Not sure why as I use the same techniques with them but they just do not seem to have the same attracting power as the ever reliable green and gold ones.

Luc.

Color depends on light condition. Foil colour is the important bit. Cloth is secondary. Remember squid are colourblind, but however have massive eyes and can see amazingly better than we can, even if monochrome. Try reds at night, golds morning and evening, and clear/rainbow/bright whatever during the day. Glow jigs are great DURING THE DAY IN DIRTY WATER. I know people swear by glows during the night, but has anyone noticed how they are hooked? Generally its by one of the candles, not struck in the head. This is due to the squid tapping your glow jig thinking "what the hell is this thing?"

I used to be a small jig fisherman until i saw a squid guru give a talk on egi technique. I no longer use anything smaller than a 2.5, and thats only in the far reaches of Cowan Creek. 3.5 is the go-to size, followed by 3.0. Remember you can buy squid jigs in different sink rates, which makes the larger jigs suitable in all depths.

Remember that squid dont have a lateral line, so you want the squid to be attracted to the jig by sight alone!

Also, any brand will catch squid. I have caught them on $2 servo cheapies, to my $30 Gancrafts. As for what brands i personally use, i have a large selection of Harimitsus, Yamashitas, Gancrafts, Evergreens, Shimano and Black Magic jigs. All have caught squid, but the Gancrafts are in a league of their own as far as quality i would say!

Oorota I would generally agree with that but I have experienced much different down here. The green and gold coloured jig has caught them for me all day long as well as the red ones. They don't seem to follow the general rules here. Also I do believe squid see in UV so not colourblind just not in the same spectrum as us.

Edited by Trout Stalker

3.5 - 4.5 gram, and don't believe the hype re $20+ jigs. We've run side by side tests when they are firing and quiet, sub $5 jigs for me any day of the week. You'll find its more technique and being in the right areas that will pay off.

My favourite, 2.5 Yamashita Live jig in green, caught 13 squid with this a couple of weeks back when all other coloured

live and non live jigs caught zip in the same spots.

Don't know about this squid being colour blind thing. Have you ever caught a squid out of a school with one jig, then the

other squid wont touch that jig again after seeing their troubled mate inking everywhere trying to escape. Put on a different

colour jig and bam, onto another squid. Change jig again and your on again.

Doesn't always go like this because sometimes the one colour jig will account for lots of squid.

You need a variety of colours and you got to be out there to get them.

cheers

Edited by penguin

Hi Fishraiders,

I have a mate who is a marine biologist and did some work cephalopods

At first it was thought that squid were color blind because they do not have the "cone" receptors in their eyes which most vertebrates (like us) use to determine colour.

They then discovered ( amongst other things) that squid for example are highly sensitive to polarized light which we can't detect. Different colored light is polarised differently so they are confident that this is the way squid determine colour. They just use a different system than our eyes do.

Bats are a good example of using different systems. We use light reflected off surfaces, captured by our eyes and then processed by our brain to build a three dimensional image of the world.

Bats use sound waves reflected back off surfaces, captured by their ears and processed by their brain to build a three dimensional image of the world.

It is firmly believed by the scientific community that Squid use visible light like we do to build a three dimensional world and polarized light to add the colour.

That is how it was explained to me.

Also, as a matter of interest because of the structure of their eyes they have no blind spot, so they should be able to see those squid jigs anywhere!

Below is the official Yamashita guide to the best colours for the conditions.

This is apparently done on actual scientific trials and interestingly it suggests that the pinks are the best all round jig.

This fits in with what many believe through their own experience.

Cheers

Jim

post-32937-0-53838400-1398910564_thumb.jpg

Edited by fragmeister

That chart you bought up Jim says the jig I use (second from bottom far right) is best for actively feeding squid in muddy water but I have all of my success with it in clear water whether the squid are active or shut down. It seems to be a gun jig in any condition and out fishes most others around at the same time.

P.S

There are generally two or three others squidding at the same time as me as it is a pretty well known spot.

Just my personal observations anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input so far,

It's interesting how strong yamashifa is and that no one has mentioned yozuri yet. That chart above lists the water and activity, I would have guessed the light levels would be more critical, but hey, they do the research!

From some of the replies above I will now be using some larger jigs from time to time and have learnt a few tips and techniques.

That chart you bought up Jim says the jig I use (second from bottom far right) is best for actively feeding squid in muddy water but I have all of my success with it in clear water whether the squid are active or shut down. It seems to be a gun jig in any condition and out fishes most others around at the same time.

P.S

There are generally two or three others squidding at the same time as me as it is a pretty well known spot.

Just my personal observations anyway.

Yes,

I agree, my experience falls outside the chart too.

I can't really vouch either way for the chart but I do know that properly conducted experiments are often at odds with personal experience.

Scientists say that personal experience is subjective and not evidence based.

Practitioners ( like us fisho's) say that the scientific tests are missing something because the results don't always gel.

Buggered if I know... if it works if works but there does seem to be some consensus on the pink colour as the most likely to work.

Cheers

Jim

The more jigs you have, the more options you have,,,,, you don't wanna know how many jigs we have, zori's, y'shita's, diawa's, etc... we do have a few small percentage of the el cheapo jigs. But you get what you pay for so unless the squid are on the bite, quality always out performs price. Spend the money and you get what you paid for.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

On. A thread like this a few years ago, I followed the consensus and got a pink 1.8 yamashita. Then I asked at the LTS and was recommended a silver/grey 2.0 yamashita. I have since added a couple more but have now boxed myself into 1.8 -2.0 yamashitas. All others seem to be a last resort or do not get used.

What jigs are others using and how do you select which one to start with?

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve,

I am not expert in Squid Fishing but have caught a fair few in my time. I use mainly Yamashita's, Yo-Zuri and Berkley Powerbaits since they come scented.

I always start with either a pink or an orange since this is what I have had most success with throughout the years. If there is no action on them for about 30 minutes I will alternate to different colors such as browns, whites, silvers, blues and greens. My squid jig collection isn't huge but the majority of them would be pink / orange.

As for the success rate of these jigs, it's about the same throughout the range. really depends on how you work the jig.

There is also no doubt that you can catch squid with the cheapo jigs as well but I have never had any luck. I am going to add some Gancraft Jigs into my collection soon as there is a local tackle shop to me that sells them for $20.

Anyway, good luck with the squid mate.

You of course have the variables! Everyone has the impression you will never ever catch a squid on a slack tide. I find its not as productive for sure, but these came up for me a couple nights ago after a 15min flick?

10154223_10152033179835248_5014171785577

Also, i still stick to my foil color information and personal research. Yet again, you will still have the variables and manage to catch them on all sorts of jigs.

These are my current 'in use' jigs. Mainly Harimitsus.

1558522_10151968159055248_1831432594_n_z

They destined for dinner plate or for bait?

the larger one is only a 26cm hood. Was going to have a feed with them, but heading out on the boat tomorrow so they will be strip baited in the hope of something half decent!

Twinfisher, i have used the egimax spray on and off. I am sure there are benefits to it, however i still catch squid without it and they make my jigs feel sticky/smell like donkey balls. I dont bother with it anymore, and try to improve my techniques instead!

I have been looking at jigs a bit differently now, amongst the Japanese writing on the packaging is a number like 2.5 or 3-3.5 m second, I guess this is seconds to sink per meter?

If so, what is fast and slow?

And any thoughts on glow sticks on the leader, I have done this about 1m in front of the jig with some result, although I had no glow sticks last week and hit a zero at night away from any light source.

What jigs are others using

Harimitsu.

Here is my collection, ranging from standard colours to special yearly releases.

#2.5

10330448_10152011181992133_5756601792982

#3.0

1039716_10151457117852133_1265667045_o.j

how do you select which one to start with?

Size is determined by water depth and current.

The colour is determined by available light, water condition and squid behaviour.

what is fast and slow?

A metre every three or so seconds is pretty standard for normal/regular models.

Edited by reLapse

geez, im going to be a hypocrite and say it (because i have a fairly large jig collection myself) but these jigs are catching more humans than squid (so in a ay they are doing their job... for the manufacturer that is) :D

BTW, my best jig was lost to kelp, it was the aptly named "nemo" that's in 00ROTA's image. It was a yamashita jig in a clown fish pattern (orange with white stripes), i bought it because it was in the bargain bin thinking this thing will never catch anything but it always did the trick! unfortunately, it was one of those 'limited edition' jigs so its gone forever :(