Going for garfish tomorrow to balmoral

eastwood1980

We were just just after sunrise a couple of weeks ago and they were swimming around quite happily, though they weren't actively feeding so they were tricky to catch

There's controversy as to how much it actually helps, but I always add some tuna oil to my bread berley, also (when I have the time) I'll pull the heads off my prawns in advance and chop them up to add to the broken up bread and tuna oil - definitely can't hurt if using prawns for bait.

Edited by Linc

Are you sure it was garfish?

Maybe yellowtails, always heaps of yellowtails there. Never really seen anyone catch garfish at night but might give it ago tonight and tomorrow lol. Getting all hyped up.

Linc for burleying that's some dedication.

I'll give it a try but no tuna oil smells too strong for me, can't handle it lol

Are you sure it was garfish?

Maybe yellowtails, always heaps of yellowtails there. Never really seen anyone catch garfish at night but might give it ago tonight and tomorrow lol. Getting all hyped up.

Linc for burleying that's some dedication.

I'll give it a try but no tuna oil smells too strong for me, can't handle it lol

Don't need tuna oil mate

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Finely crushed up Sayo biscuits work best for me. The gars love it.

Any small float will do, for bait I like to use a small sliver from the belly of a Yellowtail or a strip of squid. Tiny long shank hooks and you are away.

Cheers

Paikea

I use a sabiki bait rig with a float tied to the top then a bell sinker clipped to the bottom, then jig it, you cover more water column. ie length of the jig,

Gar travel in schools so it's more common to get multi hook ups

I use a sabiki bait rig with a float tied to the top then a bell sinker clipped to the bottom, then jig it, you cover more water column. ie length of the jig,

Gar travel in schools so it's more common to get multi hook ups

Never been to balmoral but the old gas works station at manly has plenty on first light