Off Cronulla

grandad

Left Early this morning, still a bit of drizzle around but good to be out. Went straight out to the middle ground, first bait hit the water at 5,00am. Started to catch some undersize snapper, and then a Pike. The Jackets found me at first light and made it too difficult to fish. Moved further north to my next spot but the Jackets were waiting. Out of curiosity I tried some Freshwater Gulps on my Paternoster Rig, The Jackets really loved those. Moved closer in and started to catch spikey flathead by the dozen. Came in close to Green Hills to have a sandwich and throw a few SPs. Got 4 on the plastics but all undersize. Thought I was going to come home fishless, but off south Cronulla some arches on the sounder made me stop for another try. These turned out to be small Trevally, in between the Trevally up came a couple of Flathead about 37cm. Doing the drift again produced 2 more Flatties and a Flounder. Next drift produced a metre long Gummy Shark. Then the wind dropped and so did the bites, so I created an artificial drift using the motor, this produced 4 more Flathead and then Sammy the seal came and spoiled the party. “Jackets and Seal’s” only needed a Shark for the Trifecta. The Trevally and Gummy were returned, I much prefer the Flathead, Back home before 12.00.

Grandad

post-12725-0-04087500-1399959213_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-54310300-1399959214_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-55164000-1399959215_thumb.jpg

Great report Grandad, and a good feed.

A mate of mine has been getting some serious Flathead just before Marley, may be worth your while trying there if your boat is ok for the run down there (not very far)

He prospects various depths until he gets some Flathead and then drifts that depth. Apparently Flathead seem to gather in various depth profiles so he doesn't waste too much time between prospecting each contour.

Cheers

Paikea .

Paikea

Thats exactly what I do down that way.

I dont report everytime I fish because I mainly bottom bounce for flathead.

Reports could be very boring, but if something unusual happens I put a report in.

Grandad

I too can confirm the flatties are out just before marley, Basically head out to marley beach, pull up just before you get to the northern point of marley beach and then head out towards the Sheep shaggers. A good starting point is between 35-40m. Prospect and then go from there. Best starting earlier in the day (on dawn) as later on the leatheries are on the chew and the flatties die off. Average fish on a good day is 50-60cm.

Good Luck

Edited by SquidMarks

Opps, forgot to mention,

bait wise, nothing too serious, half a pillie does the trick :)

hope i haven't given too much away!

You know it is a good feeling sharing fishing info with others, you gotta love this site!

Cheers

Paikea

I too can confirm the flatties are out just before marley, Basically head out to marley beach, pull up just before you get to the northern point of marley beach and then head out towards the Sheep shaggers. A good starting point is between 35-40m. Prospect and then go from there. Best starting earlier in the day (on dawn) as later on the leatheries are on the chew and the flatties die off. Average fish on a good day is 50-60cm.

Good Luck

OMG I am dumb, reading Squid's post I thought I don't know of any spot called "Sheep shaggers" out from Marley Beach, then last night lying in bed thinking where it could be the penny dropped. Good one Squid!

Cheers

Paikea

Guest stephanb79

OMG I am dumb, reading Squid's post I thought I don't know of any spot called "Sheep shaggers" out from Marley Beach, then last night lying in bed thinking where it could be the penny dropped. Good one Squid!

Cheers

Paikea

well share !!!! Hehehe