Fishermans Beach - evening session

SgtBundy

Planned to try on the high tide this evening and a co-worker had similar ideas. Having had no luck at Narrabeen I wanted to try somewhere new so we decided to meet up at Fishermans Beach, Colloroy. My 7 year old daughter decided she wanted to join us as well for her second attempt at fishing. Met up around 4:45 and setup just in front of Florence Ave.

Set my daughter up with my light rod and a small bit of mullet, before I even got the rig out for my rod she was claiming she had a fish. I figured it was was weed in the waves but I started helping her wind in as she was struggling a little. To my surprise as we wind it in I see a flash of a bream in the wave and I start encouraging her to bring it in but she was a little overwhelmed and it went slack and the fish got off. Set her up again and she lasted that cast - she decided it was too hard and she was scared of the incoming tide and impending darkness and so spent the rest of the time out asking how long we were staying (I tried).

Not long after my co-worker got a small wobbegong (40cm) on some squid and sent it back.

I was sending out mullet fillets on the hope of a jewie but I wasnt sure the reef area we were in was suitable. I got plenty of bites though, mostly seemed like small hit and runs, nothing that was going to take the size hooks I was using. Lost of a bit of tackle to snags and that seemed to be the order of the evening, retrieving weed, detangling rigs or pulling out snags.

Right on about 7pm I was going to retrieve thinking I had a snag. As I lift the rod I feel it separate so I start bringing it in and feel a lot of weight. "Great, huge lump of weed" I think to myself. Then I feel a kick and the rod starts jumping a little - curious. I keep retrieving and feel some movement then the line takes off for a short run. Holy crap, I am on to something solid! I settle down and start using the rod to lift and then retrieve and feel I am making ground. As it comes in near the shore break it kicks off and takes line again and heads out. At this stage I think I have a ray as it was a lot of resistance. I keep bringing it in, holding for a wave and then trying to pull it in with the wave. Every time on the shore break it takes off again. This repeats for what felt like about 3 minutes until I get sight of it in a wave - its a shark. After another few repeats I have it on the sand just on the waters edge. On inspection I see its a Wobbegong - guessing shy of 4ft or there abouts.

At this point I realise I have plan for what to do next - no gaff or tools to grab it with. I had 15lb mono line and a 60lb leader, but I had shortened the leader to help with casting so I was not keen to reach in that close to try and pull it in by the leader. I tried dragging it a little with the main line but that simply snapped at the swivel. I had no idea how to go wrestling with it or if I should even try picking it up. The little one my mate had earlier was able to snap around on its tail and I figured this one would do the same. So I took a few snaps with the phone (all useless in the dark) and let it go back in the waves.

As it took the last of my snelled rigs and my home curfew was impending I decided to call it a night.

Quite happy to have had something that size to have a proper fight with, gave the gear a workout and I was happy I was able to think through the fight and not just try dragging it in (especially with only 15lb mono). Good jewie training I hope :)

post-33342-0-84736300-1401019687_thumb.jpg

Thanks - he was pretty passive until he got near the shore then he would turn on the power. Easily the largest fish I have caught so far. Already decided my next bit of kit will be a small gaff :)

My daughter was pretty excited and was keen to tell her brothers when we got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cheat - I pick it up $10 worth at Costi's :)

I would prefer to go for livies instead but I don't have the time available to collect them, as I usually only get enough time to rush out for the right tide.

Wobbegong Sharks get a lot bigger than that. I have seen them up to 7 foot long.

Great story and love the way that you use separate paragraphs to break up the text. Makes it a whole lot easier to read.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

I don't doubt they get bigger, but it is by far the biggest thing I have had on a line so far :)

My mate who was with me sent this shot of my daughter and I while I was helping her with her fish, I quite like it.

fishermans_beach_zpsa5faf875.jpg

Photobucket seems to not like scaling these panoramic ones, bah.
Edited by SgtBundy

So I was about to suggest just picking the Wobbe up by the tail and putting her back in the sea thinking they didn't have teeth or were harmless.

Then I googled and found this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/placid-wobbegong-shark-was-to-blame-for-attack-on-sydney-father-paul-welsh/story-e6freuy9-1225829353000

None the less, the Reefie I caught a few weeks back seemed okay when I grabbed it by the tail, surely it could of swiped at me and bit me if it wanted too.

Nice catch! hopefully it's a silver ghost or something a little bigger next time!

Cheers

M.

A guy at a tackle shop the other day described them as "puppy dogs", it didn't quite seem that way to me when I had it landed but really I have never dealt with a shark before, even if it was a puppy shark :)

The little one my mate caught was snapping around on its tail and this one was jumping around a bit too so I wasn't sure where to grab. I probably could have got it either side behind the head to maybe move it clear of the water and sort out a better picture and maybe attempt getting my rig back.

Thanks. Definately hoping for that silver ghost :)

those silver ghosts are there at fishermans beach try up near the cleaning tables cast out to the pole in the water when the seas are rough and southerly blowing

I picked my pb jew tthere it went 64lb also big rays there as well

peter

A guy at a tackle shop the other day described them as "puppy dogs", it didn't quite seem that way to me when I had it landed but really I have never dealt with a shark before, even if it was a puppy shark :)

The little one my mate caught was snapping around on its tail and this one was jumping around a bit too so I wasn't sure where to grab. I probably could have got it either side behind the head to maybe move it clear of the water and sort out a better picture and maybe attempt getting my rig back.

Thanks. Definately hoping for that silver ghost :)

Puppy dogs for sure ..just be careful if you pick them up by the tail

those silver ghosts are there at fishermans beach try up near the cleaning tables cast out to the pole in the water when the seas are rough and southerly blowing

I picked my pb jew tthere it went 64lb also big rays there as well

peter

Massive rays down there, and also many many snags, I've lost a lot of gear there over the years.