New etec on the way

locodave

Hi, from what I know I am pretty excited to see this in the flesh in Milwaukee in a couple of weeks. BRP do not like to follow and offer what everyone else does-they like to innovate and are always looking to offer the end user the best in any of the fun things they make.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have an etec 90 on my trailcraft & I must admit its been very very reliable not to mention very good on fuel, the only down side is the price of oil for them.

Would love to see what they have coming up.

Hi, the oil topic comes up a lot and the average user is going to spend about $100 on XD-100 per year, even less if you do less than the average 40-50 odd hours. If you buy it in bulk too it will be cheaper again. On one side you buy a G bottle of oil and on the other side you need to drain and replace the oil/filters and trust me they are about the same costs per year.

Cheers,

Huey.

Yes I generally buy bulk & I did think that it works out pretty much the same plus etec services are 300hours compared to 100 for the 4strokes if im correct, but im very happy with the etec indeed & its done 700 odd hours and don't miss a beat

Guest stephanb79

Ive got a brand new etec 75 I love it ive done 15 hours and I put in about 50ml of oil and not bad on fuel as well

I bought a new 75 etec aswell last August,it has just gone past the 100 hour mark,,the performance & fuel economy are great,,i have used maybe 5litres of oil in that

time,so i dont really see that oil price is a factor at all,,I would certainly buy etec again

Edited by Scorpion1

Guest stephanb79

I bought a new 75 etec aswell last August,it has just gone past the 100 hour mark,,the performance & fuel economy are great,,i have used maybe 5litres of oil in that

time,so i dont really see that oil price is a factor at all,,I would certainly buy etec again

hey scorpion1

what kind of fuel range you get out of ur etec ???

huey any clues as to what evinrude will be coming out with?

Hi Gaz, yes I know a little but all will be revealed once we hit Milwaukee. The marketing department, like most big companies, like to talk things up but from what I know technically about this new platform the reality might live up to its hype. One thing for sure is the current range is going very well for us with an engine that ticks a lot of boxes so I think we will be able to get these engines for a while still and due to our location I doubt we will see these new engines until the after the US demands has been met. The simple facts are that is the biggest market in the world and they sell 150HP outboards like we sell 15HP. Down under we just do not have the volume and the amount of dealers and engine sold in that market is amazing-from all brands. I was told last time I was there at HQ about 4 years ago, during the GFC BRP lost around 1500 dealers due to closures, to put that in perspective, the Australian marine industry would be lucky to have about 500 trailer boat dealers.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

interesting huey guess we will have to wait and see

hopefully its like the seadoo spark aussies were riding theirs before the amercians had their test ride day :mfr_lol:

my 75hp was thanks to huey and a demo too .heaps good on fuel stephanb i get about twice the range of my old 85 suzuki 2 stroke i get about 120 to 150 km out of a 80 lt tank and thats mixed rev ranges prob 70 percent cruising around

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have seen, it's 5yr factory warranty, 5 year corrosion warranty, 5 year maintenance free period, can pick you own colour schemes, Evinrude is not written in the typical horizontal fashion on the cowling but is written vertically down the outboard..... Mmmm would be ok if you ran your motor in the trimmed up position......... and only available to 250-300hp models. From the photos I have seen they look like old Force outboards and are ugly as sin!

How do dealers make money of a outboard that doesn't require maintenance for 5 yrs? Good for consumers if they can survive the saltwater environment for that long with no maintenance, time will tell.

Unless they burn 20% less fuel or something nothing is really new to the industry, just more hype and publicity.

Edited by Whaler 255

Not to start of four stroke vs 2 stroke thing, not interested in doing that but I've seen and used them all. The etecs are nice but are not quite as smooth and still blow that little bit of smoke compared to a 4 stroke. Sure hole shot may be a little better but I don't water ski on my fishing boat. My 90hp 4 stroke sips 0.36 Litres per kilometer cruising above 20 knots in a good 1.5-2m swell and 1m sea. So that's 333km range out of the 120L under floor tank. Browns mountain and back out of botany bay, chase a few bonnies and back to the ramp is 35 litres of fuel. We did another trip the other day, 108km travelled and 39 litres of fuel used in sloppy seas and a nice swell.

Edited by Billy2014

That's pretty impressive fuel economy Billy My 90 etec averages about a nautical mile per litre. What type of four stroke have you got ?

Hi Mate,

I wasn't going to mention brands, been there before and all hell breaks loose on forums so if it gets that way I will keep my mouth shut. Outboard is a new Suzuki DF90A and when I compare with my 2000 model Honda which was a carb model, the Suzuki uses around 50% less fuel than the Honda did, Honda was around 1L to 0.75L per km, but the Honda was a 130 and it was on a bigger boat too and the Suzuki is a new generation of motor, lean-burn and sequential electronic fuel injected as opposed to a carburettor. In comparison, i am seeing fuel figures of 0.666L per nautical mile and the motor hasn't had it's first service yet which is due after 20hrs running.

PS: That is one serious looking dollie in your profile pic!!!!

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Billy2014

I must say I have for a long time pondered the Suzuki motors & have heard a lot of good things about them. Perhaps my next boat will have a Suzuki on it as I do a lot of offshore fishing.

Yes the dollie was a beauty & was a fantastic season, I just hope its the same with the fin.

Cheers Steve

I must say I have for a long time pondered the Suzuki motors & have heard a lot of good things about them. Perhaps my next boat will have a Suzuki on it as I do a lot of offshore fishing.

Yes the dollie was a beauty & was a fantastic season, I just hope its the same with the fin.

Cheers Steve

I'm yet to catch a dollie anywhere near that size, please let me know when the fin arrive Steve :)

I've always been a Yamaha man, then Honda almost got another great Yamaha but the small but important features of the Suzuki swung me over this time. Self adjusting timing chain, not a belt, offset drive shaft and a few other little features like that were enough to go Suzuki this time around.

Hi, as usual some people bring up other brands when discussing a topic like this. The simple facts are, and I have used all brands and all technologies, and just got back from the States the E-TEC G2 IS the cleanest, most fuel efficient, the most powerful, cleanest rigging-you have to see what they have done, the best to use with in built power steering and I-trim, the cheapest to own and operate (yes it is a 5/5/5) and I am not worried about service cost because we have been doing so long we get plenty of service work and as I have always said when people bring this topic up, usually non E owners, if you want to service it yearly your call, you just do not have to and you get the best warranty.

These new 200-300HP engines will blow anything else out of the water and being the first engine designed from day one for DI with is starboard/starboard design it is a gamechanger-simple as that. The others still use things like transom brackets from basically when Ole Evinrude devoloped the first outboard over 100years ago and really not alot is new from these guys in terms of mehcanically advancement-they are basically automotive designs tried to be made as an outboard and they are all the same really. The new G2, whether you are fan or not (and I for one can not believe how some people have all these ideas without even experiencing or even seeing one), they are innovate and will be the engine of choice if you are open minded. There is to be an Oz release in early November and shortly after that I will have demo unit to come and see and even try if you are serious and I for one like the look, yes at first I was in two minds, but after seeing this engine and running them on about 15 different styles of boats (they had about 25 boats in the water) I have no problem recommending these new engine and can not wait to get one myself. If you have any questions, aside for the usual my brand does this-if you want to learn more about this totally new outboard then ask and I will answer.

Cheers,

Huey.