cooking giant cuttlefish

Benzeenees

yesterday we caught a giant cuttlefish and a calamari squid and used both to prepare some crumbed calamari. I probably cooked it for too long as the oil wasn't really hot. It took 4 or 5 minutes to go golden. It was a little bit chewy but we couldn't tell the cuttlefish from the squid. As the cuttlefish was over a cm thick I had cut it into 5mm thick strips about the same as the squid. Has anyone else tried cooking cuttlefish. I have a lot still in the freezer so I need recipes.

marinade in kiwifruit for a few hours. dry it off, dust in some flour, put it through and egg wash and then roll it through panko breadcrumbs, dried coriander, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and some grated garlic. into super hot oil, only needs a minute or so. the kiwi fruit tenderises it perfectly.

I usually cut it into thin strips, max 5mm thick.

Mix in a bowl with sweet chilli sauce, minced garlic and a dash of soy then flash fry it in a pan which is as hot as you can get it.

Don't cook it too long, max 60 seconds

As others folk have mentioned, the key is using a really hot pan and cooking for a short period of time. I used to cook squid, calamari and cuttlefish a lot in Spain as it's dirt-cheap there. A good technique is to cook something else in the pan first, so it's already quite hot when you add the calamari. I used to fry off chorizo (proper Spanish stuff, not the imitation crap you get here), then use the red paprika-flavoured oil to cook the squid. A bit of that on top of some rice cooked in stock with one of the paella spice sachets you can buy added in for colour and flavour- sorted!