Downrigger Bomb

Guest stephanb79

Guest stephanb79

Hey guys just a bit of info

I just fot my downrigger cant wait to use it !!!

I have one question I should have asked first what size bomb should I use I got a 4lb with the downrigger now im thinking I should I get a bigger one not to sure

thanks raiders

Hey guys just a bit of info

I just fot my downrigger cant wait to use it !!!

I have one question I should have asked first what size bomb should I use I got a 4lb with the downrigger now im thinking I should I get a bigger one not to sure

thanks raiders

I have a 6lb bomb. It works pretty well all round.

Sometime the down riggers come with a chart that shows you how deep it will really run based on trolling speed and the weight of the bomb because they always run less than vertical.

The lighter the bomb or the faster the trolling speed the shallower they will actually run compared to the down rigger depth meter.

If you have a sounder that is very handy because a larger bomb will show up on the screen and you will know what depth it is running at anyway. That's the ultimate of course.

Cheers and good luck with the new down rigger... they open up a lot of new possibilities.

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Guest stephanb79

I have a 6lb bomb. It works pretty well all round.

Sometime the down riggers come with a chart that shows you how deep it will really run based on trolling speed and the weight of the bomb because they always run less than vertical.

The lighter the bomb or the faster the trolling speed the shallower they will actually run compared to the down rigger depth meter.

If you have a sounder that is very handy because a larger bomb will show up on the screen and you will know what depth it is running at anyway. That's the ultimate of course.

Cheers and good luck with the new down rigger... they open up a lot of new possibilities.

Jim

hi jim

thanks for that ill have a look at the book , beside live yakkas and squid whats else and you usr them for im new to this

hi jim

thanks for that ill have a look at the book , beside live yakkas and squid whats else and you usr them for im new to this

I've heard of people putting gar fish, bonito, Small tuna and of course slimey mackerel but you would probably need to bridle rig all of these baits

4lb should be ok for yakkas and slimies, at shallow depths - it is both the size of the bait and resistance and length of the line in the water that will affect the depth (as well as speed). In 20m of water a 4lb bomb should be fine. I carry 4lb, 8lb and 15lb. Generally use the 4lb.

Steve

Guest stephanb79

4lb should be ok for yakkas and slimies, at shallow depths - it is both the size of the bait and resistance and length of the line in the water that will affect the depth (as well as speed). In 20m of water a 4lb bomb should be fine. I carry 4lb, 8lb and 15lb. Generally use the 4lb.

Steve

Thanks steve

I ive been told to troll live yakkas no more then 2 knots and squid about 1 knots is that about right

Guest Aussie007

4lb in coated plastic has caught me the most kings, i now use a 8lb fish uncoated doesnt produce as many fish in the same depth

if your using squid or yakkas dead or alive u only need to be going at idle speed and u downrigg with the tide or current

i have caught kingys,amber jack,tailors on the downrigger

caught this cute little guy on the downrigger at the port kembla break wall about 4 years ago, he was hanging around some big 80cm kingys

post-3154-0-50111500-1401701237_thumb.jpg

Guest stephanb79

4lb in coated plastic has caught me the most kings, i now use a 8lb fish uncoated doesnt produce as many fish in the same depth

if your using squid or yakkas dead or alive u only need to be going at idle speed and u downrigg with the tide or current

i have caught kingys,amber jack,tailors on the downrigger

caught this cute little guy on the downrigger at the port kembla break wall about 4 years ago, he was hanging around some big 80cm kingys

ok cool I cant wait to give it a go can you use them when anchored

ok cool I cant wait to give it a go can you use them when anchored

I have read some people use them when anchored with dead baits but if you have a live bait it is more likely to wrap itself around the bomb cable.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Aussie007

downriggers are really useful say in fast current like the hawkesbury river and anchored if u see the fish schooling at 5 meters in 20 meters of water and u know there out the back 40 meters u can cast your bait out the back 40 meters than clip your line into the downrigger release clip and lower the bomb to 5 meters than your bait will be sitting far away from the boat right in the bite zone and it wont change depth

another instance is u can lower a live yakka in 40 meters of water to any depth u like than release your main line from the downrigger release clip and your bait should stay there right where the big fish are lurking while your drifting

sorry guys just getting around to replying big pond hasnt been friendly to me lately :throw:

Guest stephanb79

which downrigger did you get , this is what limits the weight you can use

i have a scotty strong arm and use a 12pd bomb

put that weight on a little downrigger and it will snap it

hi juggs

I got a cannon easi troll

Guest stephanb79

My downrigger is from the same name (xxxxxxxxshop.com.au) and it can easily handle the15lb bomb.

I wanted one of them but I didnt pay for mine it was a gift, I havent even use mine yet I cant wait, are kings still around this time of year

I wanted one of them but I didnt pay for mine it was a gift, I havent even use mine yet I cant wait, are kings still around this time of year

kings are around all year in winter you need downriggers big baits 1kg squid, bonito etc and troll the headlands and get hoodlums but alot of time and effort has to be put in

Guest stephanb79

kings are around all year in winter you need downriggers big baits 1kg squid, bonito etc and troll the headlands and get hoodlums but alot of time and effort has to be put in

that's what I want to hear I will be putting in the time and effot didnt know that kings will take bonitos