Where to buy?

Holls

Can't get to the water for a month so thought I'd look at getting some supplies in the meantime.

I need a good range of lures, SPs, jigheads etc. Is there a preferred online store? They seem to be better value than the shops - agreed? Thanks.

Edited by Holls

Value for money maybe BUT your not supporting your local dealer this could result in your local dealer closing down leaving you stranded when you need them. Try getting local advise from the online store, if you do get any it would only be a stab in the dark guess.

Yes some of the local shops are a bit heavy handed with the pricing gun but we need them almost as much as they need us.

Brett

I use Z-Man soft plastics and I haven't found any online stores that offer significant savings over retail stores due to shipping costs.

Value for money maybe BUT your not supporting your local dealer this could result in your local dealer closing down leaving you stranded when you need them. Try getting local advise from the online store, if you do get any it would only be a stab in the dark guess.

Yes some of the local shops are a bit heavy handed with the pricing gun but we need them almost as much as they need us.

Adapt or die.

If you own a tackle store and you don't have any plans to start selling online you're eventually going to go out of business.

Edited by reLapse

Brett

Very true this. My local gives great advice and reports which cannot be bought online. They deal with fishos coming in all day long and telling what the latest is. The general prices may be higher but if something I buy is not quite right or even if I don't like it after I used it they take it back no problem. If you buy a reel from them and you need to send it for warranty they send it for you free.

They will also match legit online prices and add the price of shipping to the price which is fair enough. You support them and they get to know you, they will look after you the same.

I support my local as much as possible and I reckon in the long run I'm better off.

I have 3 local tackleshops I use, with a big fat BCF down the road as backup.

If one store doesn't have something I want, one of the others most likely will.

Each of the 3 smaller shops know me well, and the type of fishing I do.

They all bend over backwards to give me the best deal, and give me the right advice and info about products.

And they all fish.

You won't be guaranteed all of that shopping online.

Shop occasionally for some fishing gear by all means, just try to support your local bait and tackle shops when you can, coz they won't be around forever.

Very true this. My local gives great advice and reports which cannot be bought online. They deal with fishos coming in all day long and telling what the latest is. The general prices may be higher but if something I buy is not quite right or even if I don't like it after I used it they take it back no problem. If you buy a reel from them and you need to send it for warranty they send it for you free.

They will also match legit online prices and add the price of shipping to the price which is fair enough. You support them and they get to know you, they will look after you the same.

I support my local as much as possible and I reckon in the long run I'm better off.

Thanks for everyone's advice. The reason I joined fishraider is to learn stuff. I agree with supporting your local. But also that ANY retail store is going out of business if they don't look at online selling - seems to be the way of the future. But you can't beat checking all the gear out in the flesh and getting good experienced advice. That said, fishraider has given me a very clear idea about what SPs etc I should get for my area and targetted species. Jeez life is complicated. :fishing1:

what he's saying is they go they go out of their way to please a good customer.

To keep his business.

Your unlikely to get that online.

Of course you do, they still want to keep you business regardless of whether it's retail or online.

I've received discounts from an online store I use solely because I spend a lot of money there.

Edited by reLapse

Yes the move to on-line purchasing is growing and inevitable. That said, your local tackle store will allow to touch and compare the reels, rods or whatever and then the temptation is buy what you selected, online. Same story with clothes and any number of items. If you have an issue with the item, your local dealer will support you. Would you get that with the internet supplier.....possible but how long would it take? Personally I think a good relationship with your local tackle shop is the best value you can get and you keep the money in Australia. I know it's tempting to be seduced by the US prices, but I am a firm believer in supporting our local businesses and will always do so.

I think we need to stand behind them, they are not trying to rip us off, they know the O/S prices but they still have a business to run and I would always support them. Dinosaur I may be, but I think it is very important, and not just with fishing gear.

Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Problem with the local store prices is the overhead they have to incur. Once the greedy landlords lower their rental fee then you'll see more competitive prices in the stores.

Hopefully this happens soon so i can think about selling fishing gear at my store :D

• 2 weeks later...

I like to support my local shop - not sure if I can plug them but they are probably the only one in Kings Park. When I can I try to buy from there, but I do pick up the odd bit of kit at BCF simply because of range, and BigW is actually pretty good for squidgees and some lures.

I waste a lot of time browsing online on sites like motackle and BCF trying to figure out what is what, but especially with rods and reels I just don't want to make a decision without picking them up first. For my kit I have actually had the local beat motackle for some combos and their advice has been great, plus they showed a lot of patience with my repeated browsing and mind changes. For some tackle they are a little more than elsewhere, but on some of the larger items by the time you include freight its the same if not cheaper.

Unfortunately for me my local is now a two hour drive away since moving to the central coast, and with the price of petrol I can't justify regular visits.

There are a few stores around Lake Macquaire that are alright, but they just don't have the range of products I'm used to.

I buy my rods locally only because I use Nitro rods, if I wasn't using them I'd be buying from Japan.

I've always bought my reels locally out of convenience, though lately I've been desiring JDM reels and unless Dunphy starts bringing them in I don't see myself buying locally much longer.

Edited by reLapse

Anglers warehouse... Outstanding service and they price match.... Tried the other big online store a few times and all 3 times they had me waiting 1-2 weeks because they failed to tell me they didn't have the item in stock until I called to find out myself, then went on to cancel all 3 orders.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing about anglers warehouse is their freight charges in some cases are slightly lower than the other big online store... And they're damn fast. About 6 months ago I called them at 450pm on a Tuesday and placed an order for 2 ugly stiks... I crap you not they were on my doorstep the next morning

Harry

Mo tackle, anglers warehouse , ray and Anne's, dinga fishing... They are all great with price service and advice. Small local stores are going out of business not because of not being online but because they didn't plan for their future and understand the market. This is what happens in a free market. Why would I shop at my local if they are 20%+ more expensive. The best priced stores are usually the largest ones and they normally hold more stock than smaller stores. Delivery takes only 1 day and you can order at the click of a mouse and have it delivered to you tomorrow. Is prefer to have that 20% in my pocket to spend on other goods I want to purchase.

Mo tackle, anglers warehouse , ray and Anne's, dinga fishing... They are all great with price service and advice. Small local stores are going out of business not because of not being online but because they didn't plan for their future and understand the market. This is what happens in a free market. Why would I shop at my local if they are 20%+ more expensive. The best priced stores are usually the largest ones and they normally hold more stock than smaller stores. Delivery takes only 1 day and you can order at the click of a mouse and have it delivered to you tomorrow. Is prefer to have that 20% in my pocket to spend on other goods I want to purchase.

Agreed, especially when you're a tackle rat, that 20% can be considerable

Harry

I like to support my local shop - not sure if I can plug them but they are probably the only one in Kings Park. When I can I try to buy from there

That's my local too, although I rarely go there cos they are always sitting around smoking in the shop. wtf it's 2014 and the tackle shop smells like a pub from back in the day.

Get it together guys.

While I totally agree that smoking in the shop is not on. You want to make the shop enticing for potential customers to enter, linger and hopefully purchase. Tell the guy it's offensive. That said, where will we be in another 10 years when most of our local tackle stores have closed and our only option is buying online. If you tell him you are unhappy with his shop smelling like a 70's pub and he takes offence, then do not support him. He needs to acknowledge it is now 2014 and he should be aware of what he is competing against in the market. By the way, is it Oliver?

Steve

If I'm purchasing a new rod and reel set up, I walk in to a tackle shop that has what I want, put the reel on the rod and get a feel of it to see if I like it and if I do, I order it from Mo's. You just can't beat their prices and product availability/range.

If it's just small stuff like terminal tackle etc, I buy local due to shipping costs as others have said. Mo's always send you free goodies which is also nice.