Tailor help!

Camo1808

Hey everyone.

Me and a fishing mate are now going to start targeting tailor for something different. We never have fished for this species nor no nothing about them.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice what so ever on these fish ie rigs, baits, combos, even rough areas so central coast beaches or estuary systems to target them. Also at night or day what tides.

Everything and everything. Cheers

If you're going off the beach, 3 x 4/0 gang hooks on a 30lb leader up to a swivel, with a 1oz ball sinker.

Use WA Pilchards or Garfish for bait.

Go for the gutters holes and rips, places where the deep water meets the shallow.

If you see someone nearby get one, get ready....They're here.

They move from place to place, so be prepared to move until you find them.

Bleed the keepers into the bait bucket to enhance the appeal.

Fresh tailor strips will work as bait for more tailor, or a slab on a big hook for a Jewie

Edited by Ryder

I've usually caught tailor around the tide change and mostly at night, but also in the day, almost any NSW beach can produce (if they are there). I've seen people fishing for tailor using a glowing float, however, I haven't tried this maybe you can do some research about that.

yep good info there

just to add spinning lures during the day off the beach can produce tailor as well, it may worth a try when bait fails

i mainly fish with bait though and i find it best when the high tide meets sunset

also if the tailor aren't there, the salmon usually are especially now that its winter

basically any beach will often hold tailor as long as there is a nice gutter there. Also i found that when the surf is more rough, you usually catch more as the waves/swell provide more cover

hope this helps

cheers

yep good info there

just to add spinning lures during the day off the beach can produce tailor as well, it may worth a try when bait fails

i mainly fish with bait though and i find it best when the high tide meets sunset

also if the tailor aren't there, the salmon usually are especially now that its winter

basically any beach will often hold tailor as long as there is a nice gutter there. Also i found that when the surf is more rough, you usually catch more as the waves/swell provide more cover

hope this helps

cheers

This is spot on info, especially about high tide coming into dark. I usually use metals in different sizes and work different depths until I find them but if your into plastics, use the z-mans as the Tailor don't destroy them as easily as other plastics. Have a look at my report from Stockton, all those Tailor and Salmon were caught using a cheap old 40g Surecatch metal. Good luck Camo.

Edited by Dave_

Hey everyone.

Me and a fishing mate are now going to start targeting tailor for something different. We never have fished for this species nor no nothing about them.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice what so ever on these fish ie rigs, baits, combos, even rough areas so central coast beaches or estuary systems to target them. Also at night or day what tides.

Everything and everything. Cheers

As most have mentioned 3/0 gang hooks on whole Pillies. Can get them anywhere on the coast, night time is probably best. In the last couple of weeks, I've seen lots of very big green backs been caught, and even caught myself a PB 2 weeks ago, it went 52cm. Now is the time so get out there and good luck!

You won't see tailor for sale.It doesn't last, doesn't freeze. You have to get them .

Try Nth Entrance .

It doesn't freeze?

I've got one sitting in the freezer atm, should I just use that as bait then?

It doesn't freeze?

I've got one sitting in the freezer atm, should I just use that as bait then?

I think what he means is the flesh of the Tailor deteriorates rapidly after freezing. Also, if you plan to use it for Jew bait, fresh is always best.

Just to add in: caught quite a few decent tailor rapidly retrieving blades. Is the process the same for spinning metals? Just chuck it out let it sink and wind in? Is that the same process you would use for salmon? Love winter beach fishing :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tailors will chase/take metals spun on the surface, don't need to let it sink. When they are on the chew they'll take any metal, when they are finicky you need to change up your retrieve to mimic a fleeing injured bait fish and they'll usually bite.

Best spin session i have had with the choppers was at night. People were pilly ganging them and they were pop popping the surface smashing bait fish. Why waste bait i thought, so i threw on the metal and spun in fish after fish while the other peeps frantically tried to re-bait. I was pulling in 3 fish to their 1 at 10pm at night with only the breakwall light to illuminate the place. Amazing how quick a pair of long nose pliers de-hooks a fish from your lure to be cast out again into the frenzy :)

I find when fishing land based the tailor come on and off the bite very quickly

I was once at Jervis bay fishing the inlet near huskinson with a 5inch jerk shad in white and also a squidige paddle tail in a blue clear colour and all of a sudden I got a tailor put out a cast and landed another three then they went completely off the bite I was casting for an hour and didn't catch one more they were all around 40cm and I could see the massive school of them

My favourite lure for them is a 10g halco twisty and if trolling i find the halco red head in 2-2.5m works really well I like small metals way better for all pelagics a great spot to try is on the point on north head in the wash zone but be careful is can get very rough there tailor love wash that goes further out from the rocks and off the beach the bigger the waves the more tailor

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Hi LungFai, one thing to consider is that those other guys with their pillies were actually keeping the tailor there, due to the pieces of pilchard that fall off and is natural burley. When you have a number of bait fishermen together the tailor can stay for a long time. With a number of of people using lures the tailor will frequently move on. So those other people were possibly doing you a favour and you catching 3 to 1 is not the point, with respect.

Steve

When I'm fishing alone, and get on to a school of tailor, and the guys down the beach aren't getting any, I call them over.

The more bait in the water, the more action. More action brings more action.

I called two pommie tourists, fishing the beach, they had pillies getting nothing.

They came up to my spot and got their first second third.......fish

The school hung around for an hour or so, while they were still chucking pillies, I sent out the big baits.

I used them as berley

Edited by Ryder

Guest Aussie007

the entrance on the central coast is like a haven for tailor there not very big but plenty of them in huge schools usually feeding under the bridges lights on sunset, we were using very tiny metal lures about 20-25mm long

i wont give u an exact location as i have before another member went there and caught nothing than complained

Tailors will chase/take metals spun on the surface, don't need to let it sink. When they are on the chew they'll take any metal, when they are finicky you need to change up your retrieve to mimic a fleeing injured bait fish and they'll usually bite.

Best spin session i have had with the choppers was at night. People were pilly ganging them and they were pop popping the surface smashing bait fish. Why waste bait i thought, so i threw on the metal and spun in fish after fish while the other peeps frantically tried to re-bait. I was pulling in 3 fish to their 1 at 10pm at night with only the breakwall light to illuminate the place. Amazing how quick a pair of long nose pliers de-hooks a fish from your lure to be cast out again into the frenzy :)

Hey mate

Never caught them at night with lures

how effective are lures at night?

i thought they needed more light to actually see the lure

or is the vibrations caused by the lure enough?

cheers

Hi LungFai, one thing to consider is that those other guys with their pillies were actually keeping the tailor there, due to the pieces of pilchard that fall off and is natural burley. When you have a number of bait fishermen together the tailor can stay for a long time. With a number of of people using lures the tailor will frequently move on. So those other people were possibly doing you a favour and you catching 3 to 1 is not the point, with respect.

Steve

Hi Twinfisher,

The Tailor were there because of the bait fish that swarmed to my burley bucket and instead of wasting more pilchards to the tailors i switched to the metals. The guys on the ganged pilchards only started actively casting their floated baits out when they noticed me pulling in fish after fish (I fish on a ledge closer to the water out of sight from the guys up top on the breakwall who were just leaving floated pillies out waiting for the fish to come in but they were casting over the action i had stirred up below). Southern Port Kembla Breakwall if you are thinking of which breakwall, well lit with lights bright enough for the tankers to be lit up when they cruise by so tailors stick around for alot longer due to the visability.

Hey mate

Never caught them at night with lures

how effective are lures at night?

i thought they needed more light to actually see the lure

or is the vibrations caused by the lure enough?

cheers

Hiya Sam,

Yeah they need heaps of light. I spun for them at a breakwall down in Port Kembla where massive tankers enter so the lights there need to be super bright. When fishing there can see the colour of the fish well before you have it within netting/lifting/gaffing distance. Great place but limited spots and the Rats there are capable of dragging away your catch if you don't keep an eye on them. I've tried spinning for Tailor at bridges and wharfs with the lights they have there with no success even though the tailors were on the chew.

Regards

Trung

Edited by LungFai