Best outboard for a long trip

Ahab

Hello fellow raiders, new to this section of the website but I thought I would throw it out there. I am planning a trip down the murray river from albury to the sea in South Australia in a tinny. About 2200 km and I imagine I will rack up about 250-300 hrs on the outboard over a short time circa 1 month.. I am looking at buying a second hand 4.2 to 5m tinny with a 30 to 50 up outboard. Ideally it will be a runabout style tinny with Bimini and enough room to throw a swag on the floor if campsites are not abundant. Considerations so far.

Noise.

Fuel efficiency

Servicing

Reliability.

Cost.

Now 2 strokes are simple an fairly reliable.

Fourstrokes are quiet and fuel efficient.

New fuel injected two strokes are quite fuel efficient but a few more electronics and therefore more complex.

4 strokes required an oil filter and oil change every 100 hrs ideally. Might be able to book a mechanic along the way..

I would be interested in your thoughts and recommendations. At the moment I have two very differnet opinions from two very experience people and frankly I am confused. Leaning towards the 4 stroke because low rev long hours and quiet running but worried out complexity and having to get a service mid trip. Most of the trip will be at about 10 -15 knts.

Help in any form appreciated

Thanks in advance. Ahab.

Hi, any clean tech engine have the same "electronics" on the engine like computers and sensors so that is inncorrect to say new fuel injected 2-stroke are the only ones to have these. Buying anything second hand is a gamble and sometimes the choices are limited. Budget will affect what technology, either dirty or clean and that is a fair size, and therefor price difference from a 4.2M to a 5.0M boat. what are you looking to spend because we have a very good condition 4.5M Seajay with 50HP Honda at present that might be just what you are after?

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey,

Thanks for the feedback.I take it you are suggesting a four stroke but I have an issue with the oil and oil filter change every 100hrs.. My budget is under $12k but I am looking for something in a runabout style, ideally forward steering with windscreen and bimini that runs to the windscreen as I will be travelling in all weather conditions. I don't know too much about sea jays. what model is it and how does it sit with regard to my budget.

Regards

Hi Ahab, what a fantastic adventure you have planned. Now I will say out the beginning, I'm no technician but I suspect the every 100 hours recommended service for 4 strokes is more about the average usage per annum, which tends to be about 100 hours , because oil does breakdown after time. Yes, in that case, you should change the oil once per year but if you are using that engine most days, as you will be, would you feel the need to service your car more than once per month? I doubt it. I would go for the four stroke, economy and silence,

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, no I prefer DI engines because they tick all the boxes, but most time when you buy used, unlike new where you can choose whatever you like, the used market you can not pick and choose most time. The problem is I doubt you will find a tidy runabout of the size you mentioned with a clean tech engine for your budget of $12K. Most tend to be a bit more than that unless they have some problems or high hours. The one I mentioned is a few more grand than that because of what it has and very little use.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

oil filter is something the average joe can change u only need an oil filter tool unscrew the old filter than half fill the new filter with oil rub a little oil around the seal than screw into place

draining the oil is easy just remove the bolt on the middle section and it'll all drain away

the amount of fuel u save over that trip should pay for any services needed but seeing your doing a long journey u should get your self familiar with outboards because if u break down your screwed if u know nothing about outboards

u can run an outboard up to 100 hours in 5 days with servicing it should be done within the time or hours specified which ever comes first

Thanks Guys, really appreciate any feedback or advice, even if it just tips me one way or the other. You are right that if the motor lets me down I am stuffed unless I take an Aux, which will add to the weigh and I will potentially end up pushing the boat through some very shallow sections

I think I end up in the two stroke v fourstroke debate and i am not sure if that has ever been resolved.

Gazza, while i am comfortable i could change the oil filter and oil, i would need to get the boat and motor out of the water for a while and without a trailer that ma prove problematic. Not impossible but problematic. May be able to arrange it with one of the marine mechanics or a mate of a mate in Mildura along the way but would need to book in advance. (would pay to take the right filer with me so it is minimal time off the water.

Twinfisher 4.9, i think you are correct about the 100hrs, however all the research I have done points to the fact that 200hrs would be OK if done just before the trip, but 300 would not be recommended.

Huey, my original thoughts were around a DI 2 stroke and i have identified a boat that meets budget and is currently available. It is 2008 Brooker 435 getabout with a 50Hp envinrude E-Tec with about 50 hrs. Very basic model but if i can get the price down a little i could trick it up some. Would very much appreciate your thoughts on that.

Cheers (Captain) Ahab.

Hi, Brooker are OK-built to a price so the second hand price should reflect that too. It would perform very well with that HP and the one of the many cool things with E-TEC's is you can download a history report and check accurate engine hours, engine temps, engine RPM profile and alot more even how many times the engine has been started. This tool is very handy when looking at a second hand engine because it "dobs" on the owner if they have done anything wrong with it.

If you think the price is fair and the rig checks out it would be a good little boat. What do they want for it and what are you hoping to get it for?

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, they want 12k and I was hoping to get it for 11k. I have looked at hundreds of tinnies on the internet and this appears to be a pretty good

buy.

It is on the south coast of NSW, so if I was to make the trip I would want to be pretty certain that I was going to bring it home. Long way for donuts.

Would do the negotiation over the phone and then subject to inspection, make an offer.

Is it difficult to download the engine info? I have a laptop but I assume there would be some sort of software I need.

Thanks Ahab

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm am new to this forum. I did a tinnie trip in January 2014 from SWan HIll to Euston, a total of 280 kilometres. We had 4 tinies in total of differing shapes and sizes.

I have a 13.5 ft tinnie with a Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke.

We did the trip in 3 days. My boat was using about 30 litres of fuel to do 100 k. My biggest problem was weight, with an esky and fridge and another person i stuggled to plane, had to off load the fridge.

I highly recommend the river trips, we are doing Euston to Wentworth next year. If anyone has any questions on how to plan a trip let me know, I am only too happy to share my experiences.