Arse about squid jig jigging

DerekD

I've been successfully squid jigging enough over the years that I am rarely surprised at by catch. This afternoon, however, I had a "what the" moment which left me scratching my head.

Was down at Clifton Gardens chasing some squid for tomorrow's fishing session and I started talking to a nice couple just throwing a couple of lines in. They were fishing soft plastics like they were bait. Cast out and let it sit. To give them a better chance at a fish I cut some strips off a squid I'd caught earlier in the day and put it on the hook in place of the plastic. I suggested he cast out and let it sink to the bottom. If he hadn't felt a bite in 30 seconds then bring it in a foot or so closer and let it sit again and so on. After about the third cast with the fresh piece of squid he felt weight on the line.

On the piece of squid he'd hooked up and landed an old squid jig (see the attached photo).

I've been a fan of Japanese squid jigs for years but if this squid jig is so good it can catch a piece of dead squid I may have to change my thinking. :mfr_lol:

post-8506-0-72192600-1405153665_thumb.jpg