Hawkesbury 3/9

harold

Took a leisurely attitude to saturday and got down to Akuna Bay about 7.30am. On the boat and away and at Juno Point at about 8am. Had 3 sorts of bait, Garfish, whole Squid and Hawkesbury Prawns. Put it all out with the Garfish floating. All of a sudden the rod with the squid is hit and then---nothing. I pulled it in and the thing was bitten off in one bite just below the hook. Rebaited it and damn if it didnt happen 3 times more. Neither the Garfish or the Prawns had a hit all morning and as luck would have it i only had 4 squid!!!!!! Can anyone tell me the right way to thread the hook on a squid? I put a 2/0 through the body of the thing about 1" from the end.

Harold

If you were there around change of tide I could almost guarantee you had 4 Jewfish hookups and the fish was not hooked and spat the hooks OR 2 hungry tailer - I find Juno is also thick with Taylor this time of the year - WHICH used as a livie or dead bait is also a wicked Jewfish bait

For a larg'ish Jewfish, which is Juno is renowned for, I use 2x 6/0 hooks tied roughly 6 inches apart with the squid baited across the 2 hooks. Whole large squid at Juno and other spots in the Hawkesbury, especially at the top of the tide will get you a nice fat Jewfish a lot of the time.

Good luck next time

Evan

Took a leisurely attitude to saturday and got down to Akuna Bay about 7.30am. On the boat and away and at Juno Point at about 8am. Had 3 sorts of bait, Garfish, whole Squid and Hawkesbury Prawns. Put it all out with the Garfish floating. All of a sudden the rod with the squid is hit and then---nothing. I pulled it in and the thing was bitten off in one bite just below the hook. Rebaited it and damn if it didnt happen 3 times more. Neither the Garfish or the Prawns had a hit all morning and as luck would have it i only had 4 squid!!!!!! Can anyone tell me the right way to thread the hook on a squid? I put a 2/0 through the body of the thing about 1" from the end.

65358[/snapback]

thanks guys and they were dead squid bought from the bait shop at chatswood. Do you hook through the main body only or do you also put one through its eyes? also if you tie 2 hooks together, how do you do that?

All the best

• 4 weeks later...

Harold,

those bite offs are very common for TAILOR and the fish dont have to be big to bite off whole baits and they ALWAYS seem to miss the hook :mad3:

As for rigging , I think Rodd is on the money.

Twin hook rig, either snelled(sliding) or a simple keeper hook off a tag line.

Only thing i do different for the bottom hook is feed it thru the HOOD of the squid 'internally' and come out at the head so no line is visible or able to be caught up etc. :thumbup:

changa