Navionics

kulch

so our boats Navman GPS has failed on us. the antenna wont pick up satellites in the acquring screen and just hangs, its the 5430 model.

this prompts us to switch to mobile and navionics

cut a long story short, we were using navionics on my mobile 10kms east of browns. it was working like a dream

how does mobile navionics work when out of phone coverage?

Phones have built in GPS nowadays which don't rely on Phone coverage (3G/4G). Sounds like you have a GPS built in phone. Not to be confused with a GPS enabled phone which will require a GPS receiver to operate as a GPS.

Most will use Mobile Towers to determine your location faster (Assisted GPS) but can also lock satellites on it's own when there is no signal.

So if you have an APP like navionics/navigon you can use your old/new phone as a GPS in cases where your OG GPS runs out of juice or dies.

thx Lungfai, this makes sense - i have a Sammy S4

looks like i'll be scrapping the idea of a new GPS and get a solar panel for the phone and continue to use it.

I use my old iPad 2 3G as a GPS when i go offroading, 10 inch screen with long battery life....can't go wrong :D

so our boats Navman GPS has failed on us. the antenna wont pick up satellites in the acquring screen and just hangs, its the 5430 model.

this prompts us to switch to mobile and navionics

cut a long story short, we were using navionics on my mobile 10kms east of browns. it was working like a dream

how does mobile navionics work when out of phone coverage?

Basically, navionics works on gps or satellite to be precise and does not require phone coverage in most phones. But If you are out that far and in doubt, head direct west!

Cheers scratchie!!!