Old seafarer

Busy-livin

Hey guys

I currently have a 4.2 stessco tinny with a 30 and have been tossing up getting a bigger boat for protection against elements and handle conditions with plans to head outside a lot more ,

I've found a few seafarers for sale ( mainly looking at Vikings and vc around 5.0-5.5) but these are mid to late 80s aged hulls!!

What's everyone's opinion on there boat considering there ages .?? Or so long as there's no rot should it be fine?

Anyone handles these in advers conditions?

I plan to spend a few days looking more into a few of these boats and spending more time looking at the floor and transoms as I've read a lot about rotting in these areas.

Look forward to responses!

Cheers :)

Hi mate,

I just bought a seafarer myself. Seaferer venus 5.0. Love it so far. If you are looking at the 5m range, you should consider them too.

I think with any old boat you need to look into the floors ans transom as they do rot. But all comes down to how they have been treated.

I saw a really nice looking Venus with a 90 on boat sales recently that just sold , there a nice looking boat!!

Yeah I have researched and a few say its a seafarer thing but all glass boat would rot if not looked after,

I'll be paying a lot of attention to those areas when I look at the boats

I had one for for about 5 years was my first boat had a johnson 70 hp on the back I thought it was a great boat handled the waves and chop well if your interested in photos or any other infor hit me with a text 0425459359

I have had a v-sea with a 70hp (old set up) went well, and I had a viking with a 90hp yammy for 23 years, this boat was a dream boat plenty of fishing space and very stable. It got me back safely in some horrible conditions when I got caught out and I was glad I was in this boat. It was a 85 model and I would get another at the drop of a hat if I could. As you said check the transom and the floor. If you find a good one grab it as you wont have any problems on the water with a seafarer.

There are a lot of good report on the web about these boats

I've always wondered If a transom or a Floor and stringers are gone if they are replaced are they fine again or is it a ticking time bomb?

I'll be on the hunt for a solid hull the whole way around

Guest Aussie007

transom and stringers can be replaced quiet easily these days, theres a guy importing "sea cast" from the US it comes in transom,stringer and floor its a liquid mix thickened and u just pull up your floor or remove the transom cap and hog out all the wood with a 20" chainsaw than just pour in sea cast let it set, recap than your good to go... few videos on youtube, this stuff is guaranteed to out live the boat once done

i havent used it came close to buying it but was out of stock at the time

there is a guy on youtube shooting a bullet at a block of sea cast and from memory the bullet had no penetration

Far out must be solid ! I shall hit YouTube now :) gotta see that!

For the amount of old fiberglass boats on the water I'd imagine that industry would be fair a busy one , having said that I wonder how many boats still cruise around with dodgy floors and transoms

Guest Aussie007

Far out must be solid ! I shall hit YouTube now :) gotta see that!

For the amount of old fiberglass boats on the water I'd imagine that industry would be fair a busy one , having said that I wonder how many boats still cruise around with dodgy floors and transoms

doing a transom, stringers and floor the old way is time consuming and a lot of hard work!

if u pay a shop i was getting quotes up around $3500 for T/S/F without being painted or anything else, cheapest quote was $2500 because i already had the boat stripped , this was for a 17ft boat