Modifying Lures

RichieR

Has anyone ever modified their lures to make them heavier for land based fishing ?

I now the Rapala red head lures are great for tailor / salmon / bonito etc when trolled behind a boat.

But has anyone ever tried drilling a hole in one and adding some lead to make them heavier and easier to cast further on the beach ?

floating_magnum_fmag18rh_3.png

The lead would destroy the swimming style of the lure and change its sonic signature in the water as well. Effectively it wouldnt behave anything like the original, thats not to say it wont work. Salmon Tailor and Bonito will react just aswell to easy to cast metal slugs, just choose the right profile and size to match the bait.

I have used some bibbed lures off the beach on a running sinker type setup. This allowed me to improve my casting distance without inhibiting the action. I wouldn't consider modifying the lure by damaging it in any way for fear it would hold water, lose it's action or resonance, or compromise the integrity of the lure in some way. Perhaps experiment on a similar lure dug out of 'the specials bin' before you alter any of your favored, more expensive ones.

Cheers

Hodgey