Flathead Are On In Newcastle

Guest madsmc

Nice work Mad.

I agree with the theory about stiring up sediment. When fishing the flats I quiet often drop the motor and stir up some mud then return to it later on to find a few flatties. Whiting are atttracted to this as well. :thumbup:

Hey Grant

Yeah, it's turning into a bit of a pattern. I first starting thinking about it when wading on the flats in the lake. If I stirred up the sand a bit with my feet then all the little flathead would start to move towards my feet and sit and watch. Only tiny little fish mind you, but it got me thinking.

I've also heard a story from a mate about a guy cleaning a few bream in the shallows up at Port Stephens. It would seem that the cleaning of the fish combined with the stirring up of the sand by the guys feet attracted a few flathead which were sitting not far away.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

Hey Phil, yeah I kept the two in the main photo for dinner on the Saturday night. All the rest went back to fight another day. I only take what I need, and only when I feel like a feed of fish, if not, then they all go back. Have managed a few big flathead, but I always put them back.

Very simply cooked in the oven. Wrapped in foil with some butter, diced onions and lemon juice. Add some crisp oven fries and a few :beersmile: . Doesn't get much better.

madsmc

:1fishing1: