Friday 15h August Harbour Report

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Hit the harbour this morning on sunrise.

Got a few yakkas with a view to trying some live baits suspended under a balloon around Sow & Pigs
This is a new strategy for the wayward kings that turn up there from time to time.
At the moment any baits that end up near the bottom are getting taken by Port Jackson Sharks.
Yakkas were a little scarce at Clifton Gardens but I got a few after much burlying.

There was a 1.2M swell rolling in from the south so on top of a head cold I have at the moment I wasn't feeling all that flash so I headed for Sow & Pigs at about 9:00am. The high tide was 11:30 or so and the water temperature was 16.7 degrees.

I positioned myself on the southern side of the reef but still west enough for my burley trail to drift over the reef and I set a Yakka out under a balloon.

I tossed some unweighted half pillies down the trail and was soon into some Trevally but they were not keeper size and there were a load of chinaman Leatherjackets around.

All of a sudden the livey went off but by the time I noticed it was screaming off close to the bow of the boat and almost immediately got caught up in the Minn Kota prop. By the time I realised and got to the remote control it was all too late and I ended up with meters of 50lb braid wrapped around the prop. I cut it off and lost the fish and then spent the next 10 minutes pulling line out of the prop. Was not happy as this looked like a good fish.

I decided against using any more yakkas and went back to weighed strips of bait on two heavy rods and, predictably I caught three Port Jackson Sharks in the next few hours. In my last post I had a double hookup of PJ's but this time the same shark took both baits! I got the shark to the boat but it made an awful mess of the rigs.

After a little while the wind died right down and every second pillie bait was being devoured by Baracouta like this one below.

post-32937-0-42120900-1408087491_thumb.jpg

It was fun for a while but these are slimy smelly little fellas that are not good eating.

At the change of tide I caught a couple of better sized Trevally but I've got a pretty full freezer so I let them go and called it quits at about 1:30PM

Wasn't a bad day but not as productive as the last few outings. I have to say that high tides in the middle of the day are not my favourite fishing times... much prefer high tide around dawn.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Baracouta? Sow and pigs?

Never new you could get them in the harbour

Yakkas are hard to find but worth if you hook a big fish, bad luck

I'll definitely set out a balloon tomorrow (if we get your yakkas) or just try get a port Jackson on my gomoku for a bit of fun (never got one before)

Anyway, great report and some great fish

Cheers thefisherman6784

Baracouta? Sow and pigs?

Never new you could get them in the harbour

Yakkas are hard to find but worth if you hook a big fish, bad luck

I'll definitely set out a balloon tomorrow (if we get your yakkas) or just try get a port Jackson on my gomoku for a bit of fun (never got one before)

Anyway, great report and some great fish

Cheers thefisherman6784

Yes, I have never caught them before in the harbour but they were all over the place today.

Bad luck on that beastie Jim, barracouta in the harbour is definitely new !!

Your post raises an interesting issue for me I find braided lines absolutely chAotic when it comes to emergency situations or unexpected turns. Whilst I agree the strength and sensitivity are better in braid I much prefer the mono over the braid especially if I'm fishing more than one rod at a time.

Better luck next time

It's certainly new for me but I wasn't sure about whether anyone else had caught them.

Agree with you on the braid, it has its challenges in certain conditions and almost always needs a leader to get the best results particularly

when the fish are timid.

Cheers

Jim

great work mate you got some nice fish i found the same problem with sow and pigs last week alot of sub legal trevs they just weren't as fired up there as the previous weeks so i was hooking alot of legal fish but dropping them because of there soft mouths. those leather jackets you speak might be pests for me i hate having to re rig when a hot bite is going.i will be setting out a ballon tomorrow if i can get yakka(s) hopefully get the one that you lost

how far did you sit off the reef with your ballon? and what depth did you set it at?

ill be out on the harbour tomorrow trying my luck

cheers sydneyfisher12 :fishing1:

Me too, hope the rain holds off at least till lunch time!

Couta in the harbour is definitely a novelty, I thought I'd gotten away from them when I moved up from Victoria! They are an excellent bait for snapper though - and pretty much anything else that eats fish, use a fillet or a cube, good and tough too.

great work mate you got some nice fish i found the same problem with sow and pigs last week alot of sub legal trevs they just weren't as fired up there as the previous weeks so i was hooking alot of legal fish but dropping them because of there soft mouths. those leather jackets you speak might be pests for me i hate having to re rig when a hot bite is going.i will be setting out a ballon tomorrow if i can get yakka(s) hopefully get the one that you lost

how far did you sit off the reef with your ballon? and what depth did you set it at?

cheers sydneyfisher12 :fishing1:

I was in about 5 meters of water and I put a float stopper on about 3 meters...I cast away from the reef , say about 20 meters but so the water depth would have been a little more.

Couta in the harbour is definitely a novelty, I thought I'd gotten away from them when I moved up from Victoria! They are an excellent bait for snapper though - and pretty much anything else that eats fish, use a fillet or a cube, good and tough too.

Thanks for the bait tip.

Cheers

Jim

That's interesting I guess any fish that smells or has strong taste normally can be used as a good bait.

Hoping to try Botany Bay tomorrow early before the rain moves in the afternoon

Good luck , look forward to the reports

tomorrow ill probably have a quick look out side around south head around the annie miller for kings or snapper then troll into the harbour fish sow and pigs and then finish around hmas sydney

thanks for the tips fragmeister and good luck to who ever is out there tomorrow

cheers sydneyfisher12

That's interesting I guess any fish that smells or has strong taste normally can be used as a good bait.

Hoping to try Botany Bay tomorrow early before the rain moves in the afternoon

Good luck , look forward to the reports

Yes, couta make good bait. But in Victoria they were once caught by the ton by professional fisherman and sold at markets for the table. Now they are virtually fished out. In Victoria, they actually make good eating but its gone right out of fashion - which may help to replenish the numbers.

Give the paternoster a go mate

Good point!

I think though that went the bait is cast 30 meters away from the boat the inevitable slack in the line is going to see the bait fall to the bottom.

Perhaps the addition of a bit of cork near the bait and a fairly long dropper may work?

Edited by fragmeister

Thats a fair call mate, always best to try position your boat to get your baits where you want them.. but the reef can complicate things!

I wouldnt overcomplicate the rig mate, a long dropper sounds good. Making sure ur bait sits well in the current is important too otherwise it will twist on itself.

Cheers