Allycraft Bowrider

dnmn8r

Hi guys, after 6 months with a 390 quintrex Explorer, I'm ready to move up to something a little bigger.

I've currently got a 475 allycraft bow rider in front of me, and it looks (to an amateur) pretty good.

I quite like the style of Bowriders as it feels like they better use up the space. This one especially appeals to me because it's aluminium, however I can't really find any info about it online.

Doss anybody have any information about this boat, or any comments on bow riders etc?

This will mainly be a fishing boat for myself and dad, but will occasionally take the whole family up.

Mate I have a 475 Ally craft Bar Raider with a 70 Yam on the back.Its not a Bow rider but I would imagine its the same hull though.I like my boat,perfomance is good,hole shot is good,top end is good.ride is good,The only real fault I have with it is stability at rest.Its a dog...it rocks and rolls all over the place,you have to be careful using a landing net as two people on side can can be a bit dangerous also if your fishing mate moves to your side and you are not ready it can be a bit hairy. Apart from that I love it.

You can convert the bow rider part of the boat at the front into a casting deck with a electric motor for lure flicking at the snag

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Wow, that looks really flash!

As much as I'd like to, I'll be taking my younger sisters and my mother on the boat, so I'll keep it as a seated area just so that they can relax while Dad and I fish out the back.

Mate I have a 475 Ally craft Bar Raider with a 70 Yam on the back.Its not a Bow rider but I would imagine its the same hull though.I like my boat,perfomance is good,hole shot is good,top end is good.ride is good,The only real fault I have with it is stability at rest.Its a dog...it rocks and rolls all over the place,you have to be careful using a landing net as two people on side can can be a bit dangerous also if your fishing mate moves to your side and you are not ready it can be a bit hairy. Apart from that I love it.

Yeh the one I'm looking at has a 70Hp Johnson on it, so I imagine similar performance. I don't imagine that stability on it would be great, but surely it wouldn't be worse than a 390 Explorer right?

Speaking of, I've seen heaps of Yam and Merc dealers around, but no Johnson dealers. How difficult is it to get these motors serviced/repaired in the case that anything goes wrong?

I have a Quintrex 475 sport ( Bowrider ). Best choice ( next to :wife: ) I ever made. Enough space in the back to fish. Convertible deck at the front. Enough space for non-fishos to read a book in the sun. Or my little girl to have a nap.An I like the sports car feel it has. I got a 60HP equipped. It's perfect for 2 average weight. Everything above that it stuggles a bit to get out. One planning it reaches a top speed of 50kmh, which I find plenty. 70HP would probably be better. I had to look around a bit for a 4 stroke. Don't regret the waiting. Runs quite, nice and no smoke. Real family friendly.
And it has enough power to take kids tubing. And big enough to poke the nose out the heads, in good condition to do some whale watching. A good allrounder I would say.

What I now need is a Tent for the bow, so my little girl is not in the sun when she's having a rest. But maybe this summer she might be fishing instead.

Hi dnmn8r , considering Johnson as a brand is far older than both M or Y, any BRP dealer worth his salt can easily service those engines and what do you think the Y 70HP is a copy of? That 70HP Johno is one of the best engine ever made and they were made for many years and sold thousands. We still have 1970's versions still running fine.

It would be a great mtach to a 475 Alloy boat and the only thing better would be clean tech 75HP-it will blow any 60HP you buy today out of the water.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a Quintrex 475 sport ( Bowrider ). Best choice ( next to :wife: ) I ever made. Enough space in the back to fish. Convertible deck at the front. Enough space for non-fishos to read a book in the sun. Or my little girl to have a nap.An I like the sports car feel it has. I got a 60HP equipped. It's perfect for 2 average weight. Everything above that it stuggles a bit to get out. One planning it reaches a top speed of 50kmh, which I find plenty. 70HP would probably be better. I had to look around a bit for a 4 stroke. Don't regret the waiting. Runs quite, nice and no smoke. Real family friendly.

And it has enough power to take kids tubing. And big enough to poke the nose out the heads, in good condition to do some whale watching. A good allrounder I would say.

What I now need is a Tent for the bow, so my little girl is not in the sun when she's having a rest. But maybe this summer she might be fishing instead.

That's exactly the reason I'm looking at it. My sister's are both fairly young, so they'll likely just lounge at the front. 70Hp sounds like it should be a breeze with 2 people, though it is 2 stroke. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it, new or used and if used how old? (You can PM me if you don't wish to publicly divulge)

Hi dnmn8r , considering Johnson as a brand is far older than both M or Y, any BRP dealer worth his salt can easily service those engines and what do you think the Y 70HP is a copy of? That 70HP Johno is one of the best engine ever made and they were made for many years and sold thousands. We still have 1970's versions still running fine.

It would be a great mtach to a 475 Alloy boat and the only thing better would be clean tech 75HP-it will blow any 60HP you buy today out of the water.

Cheers,

Huey.

That's good to hear Huey. I fairly cautious with engines because I know that a poorly looked after one can be a whole can of worms, but talking to the owner and seeing his logs has given me enough confidence to consider this. One day in the future I'll be able to get a brand new boat, but for the time being (I'm only 21 :/) I don't want to dip all my savings into this.