Seaswirl Striper 2101

nautica

Hey Guys,

I am currently in the market for a Seaswirl and have came across one i do like.

Unfortunately it has a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and i am worried she is underpowered.

Has anyone got any idea of power to weight on them?

The yamaha 150 actually puts out over 160hp, stronghest 150 on the market. Google the weight of it and it should tell you or email sea swirl. Yamaha might have a performance bulliten on it also, I have always found the yamaha one to be fairly accurate.

Edited by Whaler 255

The Yamaha F150 is a fine engine, I disagree with the strongest in it's class, but everyone has an opinion. As mentioned the Yamaha have good performance reports but if you are wanting to buy this boat and you are worried about how it performs, the simple answer is take a few friends and go water test it. if you do not like it then do not buy it or offer less and repower. I have been in plenty of Seaswirls and they are Hp hungry hulls and I too believe it is underpowered and that engine would need to be doing around 5000RPM to do a steady cruise speed they like to drink and make noise working that hard.

Cheers,

Huey.

Outboards are already a very high performance engine, but a direct answer is yes. There is a company that will sell chips for newer tech engines and you can port older engines. I had a 2.4 merc oval ported and if was producing 270hp compare to a 240hp bridge ported engine, stock hp was 200. Reliability really suffered and it's not worth it.

What did it rev out at? And what speed? 33 kts?

Little bit on the slow side and would struggle in a bit of swell and weight on board. Which would hurt your fuel ecomeny. Trim tabs a good but they add drag when in use.

Thought that might be the case, you really want to be seeing 5800rpm with the f150. They are a super reliable engine and probably the best 150 ever produced but it is going to be working very hard on that boat and shorten the engine life.

2 options i see is to buy the boat and cost in a repower with a 200-250hp or walk.

Edited by Whaler 255

Sorry we only took it to 5000 revs and backed off. It did rev up to about 5700 on the mechanics stats.i just checked on the seaswirl site and they said you can only go maximum 200hp for that model or insurance will be void?