Sydney harbour - trevally and leather jacket

thefisherman6784

G'day guys

Yesterday (Sunday 24/8/2014) I took Seamus (sydfisher) for a few hours out on the hobie around the harbour. After a late start (due to soccer) we arrived at Clifton gardens and launched and on the water by 2pm and back by 5pm. Pedalled out of Clifton to take a left turn for HMAS Sydney. Anchored, got the berley going and I could see some little sweep under the boat. The current was ripping through there but we persisted and got a few sweep, then added a small sinker and started getting a bit better fish. First was Seamus with a little goat fish followed by a small bream. Then I pull in a nice leather jacket of 29cm and really fat so kept it for a feed.

Then we were just losing a lot of bait due to sweep and lost heaps of trevally so moved over to the other side of HMAS more towards Clifton. Nothing there, only one good hook up and then saw a few baitfish so thought we would troll a little baitfish profile diver for a tailor or salmon to go over to the big Clifton marker near the rock well.

Got nothing for a bit then as some good bites start, a few little pinkies then on the drop, BANG, I hooked a nice trevally and to the boat, put it in the keeper net then got a flattie about legal but put it back (I keep flatties over 40cm) then I got another nice trevally in the keeper net. Then we started to lift the anchor and it was stuck.

After about 5-10mins of trying to get it out, Seamus had and idea to pedal the other way fast and about 50-100m away it had to be out and it was so we trolled back in and got nothing.

Got back to the beach to measure the trevally and the first was 32cm but the other was probably on 29.9999cm so he was realesed (no we didn't drag keeper net behind us so he was fine).

So came home with a 29cm leather jacket and a 32cm trev for a nice little feed.

post-33634-14089507816927_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Bait was pilli and prawn

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na no salmon mate unfortunately

They should be here in the hundreds or even thousands but no, nothing

Although we did get one down rigging 2 weeks ago and there a few kings starting to scatter around

I can live with kings and salmon as by catch but at this time of year last year it was the other way around

Yeah haven't seen all that many post reports on salmon catches apart from the of bi catch

apparently there have been some massive schools of them around north head/ blue fish point hopefully they make their way into the harbour very soon I have a box of salmon plastics waiting to be used

apparently there have been some massive schools of them around north head/ blue fish point hopefully they make their way into the harbour very soon I have a box of salmon plastics waiting to be used

Wicked ! Good to get the new gear out, I pick up my new boat in a week so I hope they are there waiting Hah.

Good work fellas

Well done fellas great report.

Did you find the water murky at all after this rain and do you think it moved the fish out of ur go to spots ?

the water has cleared up but that may be the case we were in the yak so we couldn't move around as much as we could when in the boat. Hope this fish come back on the bite for this weekend

Well done fellas great report.

Did you find the water murky at all after this rain and do you think it moved the fish out of ur go to spots ?

Water was clear as normal for some reason

Thought it was gonna be chocolate because we like to fish shallow sand or reef but it was nice

Thanks mate

Cheers thefisherman6784

Hey guys just wondering...can you get seasick on a kayak? I get seasick on a boat if we venture out too far near the heads, but in the estuaries I seem to be ok...but on a kayak...not so sure?

Anyone had any experience on this?

HI VietGod, I have never gotten seasick myself on a Kayak (nor do I in boats - except this weekend at north head for the first time) but I would imagine it is entirely possible, you can get rocked around alot on a yak, what might help is that you are always looking out and don't look at the floor of the boat which often causes sea sickness.

Edited by Gregsway

Hey guys just wondering...can you get seasick on a kayak? I get seasick on a boat if we venture out too far near the heads, but in the estuaries I seem to be ok...but on a kayak...not so sure?

Anyone had any experience on this?

I get seasick unfortunately but only in about 1m+ so when I get the chance, I go offshore, on a boat with sydfisher though

Yes you probably can get sick on a yak because you can rock around a lot because it's close to the water but I haven't really tested going that near the heads but would feel very confident in the hobie to go across the heads (in small swell) and fish sow and pigs which get a few waves.

I know 1m swell is kinda small to get sick in but some people just have a stomach like that and it does let you down on a good fishing day sometimes

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a big school of (presumably) salmon just south of south head on Sunday. I watched it from the cliffs as we were walking. None of the boats seemed to be able to catch anything. The birds were just sitting on it, not diving, so I guess the bait was pretty small. And yes, people definitiely get sick on kayaks. There is plenty of discussion on the topic on kayak forums.

There was a big school of (presumably) salmon just south of south head on Sunday. I watched it from the cliffs as we were walking. None of the boats seemed to be able to catch anything. The birds were just sitting on it, not diving, so I guess the bait was pretty small. And yes, people definitiely get sick on kayaks. There is plenty of discussion on the topic on kayak forums.

was that around the gap