Big papa salmon

laddercat

Conditions: 20km southerlly, tide change on high. Water temp 13

Gear : daiwa SeaBass 11ft 7-15kg , daiwa ballistic 3000, 15 lb braid 60lb fluorocarbon leader.

Lure: 45gm tweaked spanyard custom trebles and siliconed split ring.

Fishing far south coast again , decided to fish Nelson's lagoon and Bithrey inlet in hope of tailor or some sneaky bream, after spending roughly 2'hours at both places for donuts using vibes and plastics . I thought alright high tide I'll grab the SeaBass from the car and chuck a slug around tide was perfect for salmon and I had caught small salmon on fly at Bithrey inlet.

Second cast was the start of an hour of typical salmon mayhem landed a dozen fish and pulled hooks on another dozen ( despite my stupidly expensive pimped slugs with Japanese trebles ). Most fish were in the 55cm range making a great account of themselves with their characteristic aerials. Biggest landed was an east coast PB for me and went 70cm had the drag screaming and fought as hard as any similar size king I have caught. Found loads of bait in the bellies of the few I kept.

I really had hoped to get into the tailor hence the monster 60lb leader but I'll settle for a PB salmon !

post-33886-0-05084300-1409739148_thumb.jpg

post-33886-0-48699300-1409739163_thumb.jpg

post-33886-0-58516200-1409739188_thumb.jpg

hey mate,

whereabout is Bithrey Inlet, NSW ?

thanks!

Bithry is a tidal inlet about 20 minutes north of tathra salmon all year round much bigger models in winter obviously and during summer usual suspects like flathead and bream. Wouldn't bother chasing bream or flatties till he water warms up there though at the moment at 13 degrees the salmon are loving it though

Bithry is a tidal inlet about 20 minutes north of tathra salmon all year round much bigger models in winter obviously and during summer usual suspects like flathead and bream. Wouldn't bother chasing bream or flatties till he water warms up there though at the moment at 13 degrees the salmon are loving it though

ah right. .. thanks mate!