Favourite Outboard?

Paikea

Having owned about every brand of Outboard including Mariner, Mercury, Evinrude, Honda (4 Stroke),Yamaha, E-Tec, the dreaded Chrysler (good anchors)and Suzuki I was thinking what has been my favourite over the years.

I concluded that the 115 E-Tec fitted to my 5.2 Trailcraft was my all time favourite.

What is your favourite?

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

ive had a mostly evinrude and a few johnsons all 2 strokes, only one let me down and that was on my last boat the pull cord snapped the first day, they have been bloody great engines

had a yamaha 40hp blow up due to my negligence, the oil pump was removed and i didnt overlook it before venturing out didnt know much about outboards back than

best 2 stroke would be a evinrude

best 4 stroke mercury

worse engine a old chrysler lol but it was alot older than me and still kicking

Interesting topic and like the never ending Ford vs Holden debate and everyone will have an opinion. Breaking it up to clean and dirty engines, my fav dirty engines are the V4 J/E and V6 Merc's. For this technology these two engine platforms have proven to be reliable and good performing engines over countless years. On the clean front they are all very good nowdays with my fav's being the 2.6L V6 E-TEC platform and the Yamaha F150-both sweet outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

Ive only had 3 outboards,

The first was a very old second hand evinrude that was pretty much blown up b4 I got it.

so after that I swore I would always buy brand new!

Then I bought a brand spanking new lemon with Yamaha badges on it I still believe Yamaha make good motors but mine was manufactured on the Friday afternoon just b4 knock off! first 12 months of its life was in the workshop more then home or on water. after 9 years DEAD blown 3rd cylinder = sold boat after fitting new power head.

then I got the Honda (BF150) SO SWEET never missed a beat, quiet smooth yet plenty of power & very economical . average 100 hours per year at 500 hr service asked for the works (check every thing to make sure its all good) all they could do as an extra was adjust the valve clearances & even that was a very minor adjustment. So its pretty obvious why I prefer the Honda.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had three outboards of various vintages and makes.

My first a Suziki 15HP two stroke 1988 vintage

Always started first go cold.

Was a bugger to start hot, often I just had to sit around for 1/2 hour and wait for it to cool down.

Next was my Evinrude 40HP two stroke. 1982 vintage

Would not idle from the day I purchased it,

But after the head gasket was replaced it performed faultlessly for the next 5 years, always started first kick and never missed a beat.

The only thing I had to fix, other than the head gasket was the trim & tilt cylinder that just died of old age. Replaced the seals with the kit ($65.00) and never a problem again. By the way, the t&t didnt fail, it was just leaking.

My new boat had a Mercury EFI 90 four stroke NEW

Brilliant, as it should be, the only 2 problems I have had is that it wouldnt start in cold weather (the dealer put in a battery that was a truck battery and only half the required CCA,

And the fact that the rubber grommet that the wires and controls go through into the motor keeps coming out.

Both the boat dealer and the Mercury reps ahe blamed each other, so I cant get it fixed.

This is a known problem with these motors, checking the web it has ben a chronic issue in the US for years.

Other than that, this is a fantastic motor.

At idle the noisiest thing is the tell tale dribbling into the water