Twisted dropper paternoster rigs

brad_tate

Hi Raiders,

I'm currently using twisted dropper loops for bottom bashing, and also bottom fishing when anchored. My usual grounds are Botany Bay, so I use these outside the heads and when anchored at the Drums and Mollineaux Point with dead baits.

My current rigs are made out of 17lb Berkley flouro, two droppers, with a solid ring on the top for ease of attaching to a snap swivel - makes it easy to switch to a trolling lure on the rods I use these on when I want to. I'm following Geoff Wilson's book as to how to tie them.

I was testing some today in the shed and I was surprised by the failure rate I got under load - snapping at the dropper knot at only 7 lb or so.

Does anyone else use these knots, and have any tips to share about appropriate material, tying tips etc?

I like them as it helps the baits stand out proud, but am now wondering if they are a wise choice.

Thanks, Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were they snapping at the dropper knot Brad?

I just use a surgeons knot at the top. Easier and as strong as anything else.

I use the same rig in 15lb black magic flouro for inshore and 30lb or 40lb same make for deeper reefs (70m)

Edited by NaClH2OK9

The failure was at the dropper. After the dropper is twisted I double the line and form a loop 4 times, then feed the dropper through and tighten (lubricating of course). It's this knot that failed on my tests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have found some lines fail with this knot and others are fine. some lines slip with this knot and others bite in and dont let go. Smaller lines seam to fail and slip. cheaper leaders seam to work well with this knot. I have found Black Magic leader ( which is up there) to slip and fail misserably with this knot.

Dave

Dropper loops in general have poor knot strength, sometimes sub 50%, hence the reason you mainly see them used with really heavy mono.

Alot of guys are going away from using droppers for this reason. Using 3 way swivels is really the strongest set up you'll get if you're using multiple hook rigs but obviously this doesn't allow the line to stand out proud as you want.

There's a dropper loop called the Seaguar that is said to have much higher knot strength and another a mate of mine uses which he calls the "kiwi" dropper, however I'm yet to try either of these methods.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I have to agree with Dfishin. I tested at the weekend and found my droppers slipping. I'd never tested this before just line strength. I'm surprised and disappointed with the results. I'll be rethinking this on my rigs of changing flouro brands. Thanks Dave

I was doing some pre-made rigs last night. Previously I have done simple dropper rigs with mono and some kato 10lb and 50lb FC and really had no issues with them. Last night I was using 6lb sunline rock FC and it was just hopeless. It snapped on a whim on basic knots, and was painful to form the droppers with as it would spring apart if not held just right or become distorted and have kinks in it from previous attempts. I don't pretend to be super skilled with knots but I have not had line so difficult before.

I am not sure what the actual strength of these are - the previous setups I did with 10lb FC handled flatheads in the surf just fine.

3 way swivels for me... but i find these can still lead to tangles when the hook length is "too long".

Funnily enough I just googled 3 way swivel vs dropper knot and there's a lot of world wide debate on this... mostly moving towards 3 way swivels due to poor knot strength from what I have seen!

Cheers Sgt. Cheaper solution than trial an error with multiple flouro brands

I might also try using a little rigging tube to be pushed over the eye of the swivel to create a standoff from the main line.

Edited by NaClH2OK9