Itching for a Kingie

dnmn8r

Went out on Sunday for a fish in Botany Bay. Collected yakkas (first time I've had success with this) and then went out near bare Island. Dropped one with a sinker and one without, but neither got touched. Moved around a bit but no luck.

I've never caught a kingfish before, but I'm really keen. Is Botany Bay just a difficult place, most of the posts I see in reports is for Sydney Harbour. Or maybe I need to try different things?

Bare islands not been massively productive in my experience... Better off at molli point or sit in the live bait spot at the tugs...

filthmonger, on 28 Oct 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Yes Botany bay is very difficult. Youll have better luck in The Hacking River or Sydney Harbour. Try catch some squid too.

Where abouts in the hacking? I know where to go for whiting and bream, but not much else in there.

I've also never fished the harbour, what ramps have adequate parking?

tef1on, on 28 Oct 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Bare islands not been massively productive in my experience... Better off at molli point or sit in the live bait spot at the tugs...

So would you catch them, hook them up and throw them back in?

SZ1, on 28 Oct 2014 - 2:40 PM, said:

If you boat based try along the cliff outside south head at botany

I am boat based, but not too comfortable going outside in my 4m Quinnie. Especially after seeing how quick the wind can pick up on sunday (and with no forecast). Edited by dnmn8r

I've also never fished the harbour, what ramps have adequate parking?

Not sure what area you come from but probably the best ramp to easily get to the Kingy spots in the harbour is the Rose Bay ramp.

Its easier for me to come all the way down the river so I can't vouch for how busy the Rose Bay Ramp gets but there are a coupe of young fishos on this

forum who use that ramp all the time so they will probably chip in and let you know when they see this post.

Any significant marker or structure in Sydney Harbour or Middle Harbour can hold kings including channel markers, large wharfs, reefs, wrecks and headlands and boat moorings.

On good days at the right time & tide pretty much anyone you roll up to will be holding kings. On not so good days you may have to go from one likely spot to another until you find them on the sounder.

Watch the posts here and you will see when they start to come on in bigger numbers... that would be a good time to think about a trip to the harbour.

Edited by fragmeister

Guest stephanb79

Not sure what are you come from but probably the best ramp to easily get to the Kingy spots in the harbour is the Rose Bay ramp.

Its easier for me to come all the way down the river so I can't vouch for how busy the Rose Bay Ramp gets but there are a coupe of young fishos on this

forum who use that ramp all the time so they will probably chip in and let you know when they see this post.

Any significant marker or structure in Sydney Harbour or Middle Harbour can hold kings including channel markers, large wharfs, reefs, wrecks and headlands and boat moorings.

On good days at the right time & tide pretty much anyone you roll up to will be holding kings. On not so good days you may have to go from one likely spot to another until you find them on the sounder.

Watch the posts here and you will see when they start to come on in bigger numbers... that would be a good time to think about a trip to the harbour.

yep thats right I cant wait of them to turn up as we'll im still waiting to catch a few im all ready to go

Best place in the hacking for a noobie is lilli pilli baths just anchor up in the deep water where the channel runs out from between the land and sand flat. Outgoing tide seems to be more productive

...and so it was 30 odd years ago when I lived in that area and fished the baths regularly!

In those days and probably today there was many a surprised fisherman when a yakka they were hauling in on a 6lb handline was engulfed by a kingy and more often than not it resulted in cut fingers and lost handlines.

Best place in the hacking for a noobie is lilli pilli baths just anchor up in the deep water where the channel runs out from between the land and sand flat. Outgoing tide seems to be more productive.

...and so it was 30 odd years ago when I lived in that area and fished the baths regularly!

In those days and probably today there was many a surprised fisherman when a yakka they were hauling in on a 6lb handline was engulfed by a kingy and more often than not it resulted in cut fingers and lost handlines.

Alright you guys have sold me, I'll give lilli pilli baths a go, since I prefer launching at gray's point anyway for the outboard washing. Do you catch yakkas from there as well?

Yeah its a great spot mate. Lots of structure, current and deep water. That channel that sits between the sand flat and the land is like a highway for fish. Good jewie spot too.