Artificial Teef

ALI-G

Had an early start yesterday 5.30 and grabbed a couple of live calamari hoping to get a king or two out at long reef, after a couple of hours bobbing about in perfect conditions I had no hits & decided to go do a bit of a drift on my way back in to the harbour. Just a red rock cod before a massive Mako came right up to the boat and nudged my burley pot before zooming off in to the distance!!!

It was a bit unnerving as I was on my own so decided to head in to the artificial reef, had the live squid out for about ten minutes when the terez had a nice bend in it, thinking it was a nice king I leant in to the fish only for it to take off like a rocket!!!! then I thought wahoo or a spaniard!!!!! three seconds later an exocet missile launched 20 feet out of the water twice....It was another Mako!!!

One of the best fights I have ever had, it was pinned perfectly in the corner of the jaw with the 7/0 black magic circle, I was definitely not going to try to get it onboard so decided to keep playing it until the 60lb fluoro gave up, ten minutes in and it did.

Managed to get some video and a few shots but don't know how to upload vid.

Amazing to see these creatures so close to the shore but a bit of a warning to any open ocean swimmers, the first one i saw must have been 10+ft and the one I caught was 7-8ft.

post-15085-0-38662100-1415503459_thumb.png