Huge Flathead

Holls

I think if nothing else has touched it, something is not right.

Fish eat fish, so do birds, rats, feral cats.

Seems fishy to me.

Could be lead, or mercury, something that gets the top predators

Edited by Ryder

Probably one of the above - fish prob get sick like the rest of us. Top predator in the lake, floated ashore overnight before a sea- eagle spotted it. I collected it (putrid!) and shallow buried it nearby. Later I want to see if it's got a fish hook in it - or a bottle cap. :-)

You might laugh about the bottle cap? There was a 40lb carp back home in a family friends tournament fishery, it was found dead without cause one day, turned out it had a bottle cap lodged in its mouth. That's a $10,000 fish that died from a bottle cap.

Dead rotting fish smell rank. Good job on getting close enough to bury it.

I wouldn't worry too much about poisoning from one dead fish, if there was a few of them I'd worry!

Did you know that most dead fish sink until they've been dead for a few days, depending on what it died of of course. The gas build up make them float so this thing could have died a few days before you found it.

I saw the coin and thought "you thought i was stupid for saying bottle cap" then scrolled down and saw the lure... :(

Good find... would have been an interesting story if the animal would have eaten the lure and turned up a few days later dead.