Pittwater 12/11/14 hammerhead shark

sbf1

Had a day off today so decided to target some bream on the flats of palm beach. Launched at 4.00 am and fishing soon after. Got a good feed of bream, whiting and a couple flounder by roughly 7.00am

I threw some bait scraps of the edge and noticed some yakkas and pike feeding then suddenly a hammerhead shark cruised up and had a feed! It was only 2.5 meters of water.

I decided to do a few drifts for some flathead. I got a couple and then I was on to something big. It was going to be a challenge on 6lb line. It surface roughly 20 meters from my boat and I noticed it was a hammerhead shark!! I fought it for roughly 10 minutes and then it cut my leader. It would of been between 125-150cm big so only a baby really.

Are these common in the pittwater shallows?

I've hooked a few hammerheads in my tinnie in Pittwater and around Flint and Steel.- both pups about 60cm and parents 1m+.

Last year I had a close call with a mean set of teeth: I had a pillie and a livie out, and I noticed a squid on the pillie, I reeled it in, and then attempted to scoop the squid in my yabbie net. For about 5 minutes, I had my hands in the water... Then I noticed a larger squid on my livie, and I reeled it up too - but the squid was much too big for the yabbie net, so I left it there for a minute while I cut off the pillie and put on a squid jig - and in that minute, a huge hammerhead broke the surface,and went down with the squid, my livie, and my 30lb line - for about 2 seconds... ping!

I was very glad not to have my hands in the water when that came up!