First harbour session

dnmn8r

Since getting my boat at the start of the year, I've only been in the Georges and the hacking. Finally went to the Harbour today, launching from Northbridge. VERY late start at 12pm, but this was more of an exploration trip than anything.

Went around towards what I believe is wedding cake(see photo) ? There were two that I saw and went to the north one. Threw out an unweighted whole pillie on ganged 4/0 live bait hooks. Nothing touched it for an hour, then for one of the handful of times in my life, I hear that delightful zzzzzzzzzzzz. I immediately see it jump into the air. After fighting for a bit, pulled it on board and it was a 50cm Sambo. Super exciting as it's the first one I've ever caught. Other than that, it was mostly undersized snapper, a couple of little trevally and a stray Whiting. And this one looking ray.

All in all a way better day than any I've had in Botany in recent memory. Now just to find squid and start my hunt for a kingie.

ea092ac854e54ed200519dcb30acfec3.jpg

6d999b6cf292253d97e14d7588230951.jpg

Good to see you got your first salmon. There are alot turning up with tailor mixed in.

Look for the seagulls working the surface.

That is one of the wedding cakes , any of the large marker will hold kings from time to time.

I think your Ray is a Banjo Shark

Welcome to the Harbour!

I think Ryder is spot on. Thats a banjo shark.

The Wedding Cakes are on the Eastern and Western channel so it looks like you have the western one which is generally the better mark but the ferries make it difficult to fish at times.

Again, the advice from Ryder is on the "mark" and moving from one mark to another is a good strategy... although I have had a lot of trouble finding them this last few weeks. If its anything like last year they will be hanging around all the markers in numbers pretty soon.

Looks like you already know that that was a late start and early mornings are generally the most productive.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Good to see you got your first salmon. There are alot turning up with tailor mixed in.

Look for the seagulls working the surface.

That is one of the wedding cakes , any of the large marker will hold kings from time to time.

I think your Ray is a Banjo Shark

Thanks for the ID. I generally try to look for surface action, but the couple of times I have spotted it, I've never managed to hook anything up. This one seemed to be deep (or on its own) as there was no action up top. Will have to try the markers again over the next couple of months.

Welcome to the Harbour!

I think Ryder is spot on. Thats a banjo shark.

The Wedding Cakes are on the Eastern and Western channel so it looks like you have the western one which is generally the better mark but the ferries make it difficult to fish at times.

Again, the advice from Ryder is on the "mark" and moving from one mark to another is a good strategy... although I have had a lot of trouble finding them this last few weeks?

If its anything like last year they will be hanging around all the markers is numbers.

Looks like you already know that that was a late start and early mornings are generally the most productive.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks, I think I'm going to be fishing here more often. Even if I don't catch anything, the views are still totally worth it.

Generally if I'm on my own I get out much earlier and move around more but it's always late and static when I'm out with the old.

The other thing that didn't help was that I was using pillies, but I'm sure I'll figure out where to go for bait in the harbour quick enough.

Well done and welcome to this great waterway

Nice sambo too for a first

Last year as mentioned the kings went off on the markers with the most we (Seamus and I) got was 22 in one day on the markers

Heaps of fun

Just gotta wait for the water temp to rise a tad and hopefully come in the harbour

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk