Newport beach - almost

SgtBundy

Despite the rain and full moon I was going to have a go for jewies tonight and hit up Newport again around 7:30pm.

Set out a pilchard rig while the frozen mullet I had defrosted a little. Also put out some worm on a light rod and in short time had a small flattie who managed to spike me twice while I tried to get out a deep hook. In the end I just cut it and sent him back with a throat piercing. I kept drifting with the light rod in the gutter near shore but nothing further occured and I put it away as the light faded.

Right on change of tide my mullet fillet got smashed out of nowhere. Line started peeling off and I got that feel good bzzzzzzzt noise. A little excited I was a bit slow to tighten up the drag and started making headway against it. I felt some big headshakes and some runs that seemed to be back at me as the line slackened at first but it was still there. More headshakes and then gone... damn. I would like to think it was a jewie but might have been a big flathead.

Persisted on with the intent of using up the the bait I had on hand. Later on I got weight but no real bite or fight. Dragged in a little carpet shark

9060aa03528dadd821e9ab4347d0f2c3.jpg

Later on with the last of my pilchards I got another hit but no real fight as I brought it in. This time a small shovel nose ray.

8540fea209b1cb5b1d4aeaa3d4681c70.jpg

With that I called it a night.

Conditions are pretty good tonight, 9.45 high tide, low air pressure, and supposedly the jews love feeding after the rain/storms, I'll be at work tonight sadly, definitately go out tomorrow night though.