Remove able downrigger

bojulabah

I'm setting up a new boat (Quintrex 490fishabout) and want to put in a downrigger but don't want to have it perrmenantly screwed to the back. Cannon (USA) make a unit that fits in rod holder which seems like a good idea, but most of the downriggers I've seen (Scottie etc) are fixed. There is obviously a reason for this, but can't see disadvantages of a removable downrigger and would like people's opinions.

I'm setting up a new boat (Quintrex 490fishabout) and want to put in a downrigger but don't want to have it perrmenantly screwed to the back. Cannon (USA) make a unit that fits in rod holder which seems like a good idea, but most of the downriggers I've seen (Scottie etc) are fixed. There is obviously a reason for this, but can't see disadvantages of a removable downrigger and would like people's opinions.

I have a Cannon electric down rigger which has a cracked fixed to the boat. The down rigger slides in and is secured by a large bolt turned by hand.

Guest stephanb79

I have a cannon as well and I run my in the rod holder with the swivel mount I love it !!! If you want to drill hole in your boat the fix option is there but remember the mount will always be there !!!

Guest Aussie007

when u think about it guys are running up to 12-15lb bombs on 2-3 foot arms can u imagine the pressure at the base of the downrigger? thats why they are bolted down

plus if u snag something u would rather the cable snap than loose the lot

i have a cannon DR also great brand, cheap and never had a problem

I got Scotty's 1060 on a swivel base. couldn't be Happier . the base plate is mounted permanent onto boat and the down rigger is attached by 4 screws when needed and with having the swivel base it very easy to operate as you can set the down rigger witch angle when in use or you can use it as a rod holder when fishing bottom so for me it's a Scotty 1060 instead of the 1050 as 1060 has a larger retrieval reel and a shorter arm than 1080. its very worth while to spend the little extra and get the swivel mount .

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1: