Sx48

troutboy

Hi all

just yesterday i purchased my first ecogear sx48 lure and on first use i realised it is almost a suspending lure more so than a floater.What i would like to know is has anyone swapped the larger rear treble for one the same size as the front treble to make the lure slightly more bouyant. As most of my trout fishing is done in relatively shallow water i do not want a suspending lure but one that will rise a bit quicker than standard. Will changing to a lighter treble greatlyaffect the action of the lure? Has anyone tried this ? thanks troutboy. :1fishing1:

There's a bit of a science to Owner Stinger trebles, there's a right and wrong way to put them on and the sizing has to be right to get the best chance of a hook-up. If the trebles are upside down they won't hook-up as well and I've had them effect the action on SX40's.

G'day swoffa, what do you mean by the above quote?

I have never bothered to even look at the trebles on my 40's and 48's to see what size they are.

Am I right in saying that the 48's have two different sized trebles and the 40's are both the same.

What size are on each and if I was to buy new trebles for them, what type, name number do I look for. :1prop:

cheers

Hooky

PS, i just went and checked and they are different on the 48's. :1yikes::wacko: Blimey, I never knew.

So why are they different? :(

Don't sound so surprised!  :1prop:  :tease:

67142[/snapback]

Actually I'm bloody shocked. Not for you knowing but after using hard bodied lures for most of the lure fishing in my life, it's only just clicked about how to put trebles on properly. I've never even given it a thought. :(

I must have fluked it by always putting trebles on correctly or it's just another bit of technical crap that has crept in to the fine art of angling. :074:

'Ya learn something every day. :wacko:

There's a bit of a science to Owner Stinger trebles, there's a right and wrong way to put them on and the sizing has to be right to get the best chance of a hook-up. If the trebles are upside down they won't hook-up as well and I've had them effect the action on SX40's.

I assume the lure is suspending in freshwater? It's strange to here that as I've fished about 20 different SX48's at TCD and never had any suspend. Have you checked to see if it's taking in water?

67108[/snapback]

Hey there Andrew, the lure is not actually suspending but rising very slowly,a little too slowly for the depth of water i am fishing. I just thought it might be a case of changing to slightly smaller trebles to minutely increase the bouyancy of the lure but it seems a lot of time and effort has gone into producing the lure in the first place and it obviously works best as it is. I might just need to have some patience and work the lure super slowly! :1fishing1:

Hi Swoffa,

The trebble for Sx-48 is size 8 at front and size 10 at rear. The reason is that it will be sliently heavier at front to make a better dive angle and better actions in that case. Hope it help :)

SX-48F is a floater in slatwater for sure. I assure it might suspend or slow float depends on the water temperature too.

cheers

Thanks andrew thats just what i needed to hear! I was using a very light fly clip and didnt even consider the weight. Good idea about the split ring too, now i just have to brush up on my loop knots as i have been using clips for so long now i have forgotten how to tie them! cheers troutboy :1fishing1: