Port Hacking?

Floating_Medic

Hey folks,

A friend and I are hoping to fish Port Hacking tomorrow afternoon/evening weather permitting launching from Wally's Wharf and I was wondering if anyone would care to share some spots with me and what we should target there?

I really would love to catch some squid so if you know any good spots that would be my biggest priority whilst there as I really want to get rid of my curse of never ever catching a squid in Australia yet!!!

We usually just putt around trying different spots and a favourite is just behind Jibbon there where its slightly sheltered so we can anchor down and just see what happens.

I've got a few new squid jigs to try out too so I'm keen to give that a shot! And if we can find ourselves a few we might even sacrafice one or 2 on the bigger gear for some Kingies or similar!

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Floating_Medic

Hi Alan. I've limited experience as I've only been boating the hacking a few months myself. I've caught squid at the public moorings at jibbons in the evening. And have done well for yakkas any time of day the same place. The sandbanks at mainbar produce flathead as will a drift between jibbons and bass and flinders.

You could try for Kings in the channel by lillipilli baths.

Good luck.

Guest Aussie007

a mate i grew up with fished lilli pilly this morning and pulled in a 82cm flatty, i'd post the picture but his face is in it

Post the pic bit edit it in paint before you do! I'd love to see that lizard! I'm hoping it got put back in to breed another few years yet??

We had no luck as we fished only about two hours and just as we started hooking small flatties and squires we had to come in due to the looming storm that didn't actually come over the port anyway. Oh well, the baits frozen for next time.

Alan,

You could also try Wally's for squid before you go out. Don't waste too much time though. If you don't pick one up in the first 15 mins, they're probably not around.Just stand on the eastern corner of the wharf and cast in an arc from east to west. It's also worth a drift along the "golden Mile" channel between Lilli Pilli and Burraneer Bay. Just be aware of the marine sanctuary around the corner from Dolan's Bay as you head out to the main channel. Look but don't catch.

Alan,

You could also try Wally's for squid before you go out. Don't waste too much time though. If you don't pick one up in the first 15 mins, they're probably not around.Just stand on the eastern corner of the wharf and cast in an arc from east to west. It's also worth a drift along the "golden Mile" channel between Lilli Pilli and Burraneer Bay. Just be aware of the marine sanctuary around the corner from Dolan's Bay as you head out to the main channel. Look but don't catch.

Awesome tips! Thanks mate!

I may even give Wally's a go on a less busier night for a squid or two!

Edited by Floating_Medic

• 1 month later...