What's The Best Bait For Groper?

matt1119

A big red crab on a solid shork shanked hook is the best bait. Black crabs are a good substitute as red crabs are hard to find in some areas. You can berley up with crushed sea urchins - although this is often frowned upon by some people. :( Pick a nice low ledge on a flat day, use no sinker, cast out and hang on.

Salmon are a migratory fish and are found everywhere, just a matter of being there when they're on.

thanks guyz!!!

where are the red crabs located?

under the rocks at low tide?

actually, what is the difference between red and black crab? juz in the colour?

67819[/snapback]

G'day,

Any of the crabs will work, red is best but the "green" ones are also good and the brown ones will still catch fish. That is also the order that you will find them in the intertidal range, red lowest, green next and then brown( the ones with white markings). The brown ones can even be found above the high tide mark on occasion and have saved a few trips for me over the years.

Matt

G'day,

Any of the crabs will work, red is best but the "green" ones are also good and the brown ones will still catch fish. That is also the order that you will find them in the intertidal range, red lowest, green next and then brown( the ones with white markings). The brown ones can even be found above the high tide mark on occasion and have saved a few trips for me over the years.

Matt

67869[/snapback]

thanks macman!!

could you recommand any location to catch all these crabs in syd?

the other day i just lost a good size groper, i saw its tail when im pulling it back but the line was broken when the wave come!

and now i wanna get it back!!!

And any other good location to catch groper ?

thanks again

thanks macman!!

could you recommand any location to catch all these crabs in syd?

the other day i just lost a good size groper, i saw its tail when im pulling it back but the line was broken when the wave come!

and now i wanna get it back!!!

And any other good location to catch groper ? 

thanks again

67880[/snapback]

No, I can't recommend any specific spots, BUT, if there are rocks that swell hits and weed grows, then there will be crabs and by extension there will be groper. People talk as though these things are rare, but there are thousands of the suckers around Sydney. You might want to have some decent gear if you want to catch one though.

Matt

The red crabs tend to camoflouage themselves in the brownish/red cabbage weed that grows on the lower rock ledges. to find them, I normally run my hands throug all the weed until I spot one. Do not stick your hands in any tiny little crevices or deepish puddles below the water line as little green eels can be a nasty surprise. :1yikes:

The red crabs tend to camoflouage themselves in the brownish/red cabbage weed that grows on the lower rock ledges.  to find them, I normally run my hands throug all the weed until I spot one.  Do not stick your hands in any tiny little crevices or deepish puddles below the water line as little green eels can be a nasty surprise. :1yikes:

67886[/snapback]

not forgetting blue ring occys too :mad3:

matt1119, if you find a good red population, keep it to yourself as they are getting harder and harder to find.......just tell me :tease:

Edited by matt_nsw