Fishing with the kids up at the Gold Coast

Z-ster

Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice on fishing locations up at the Gold Coast. I only have limited time to fish as we're only going up there for 4 days and 2-3 of those days will be spent at the theme parks.

I will be up there in mid Jan with two 10 year old boys that are keen to do some fishing and I'm hoping there will be suitable locations for them to catch some fish.

Looking at Google maps I can see what appears to be two suitable locations. Gold Coast Sand Pumping Jetty and the Gold Coast Seaway breakwall on the south side. BTW, we will be staying at the Sheraton Mirage Hotel, which is near by.

Although the two location above might be better suited to the bigger species as I play to do a morning session on my own. The boys however will be running light to medium tackle (8-12lb), I might even offer them my lighter gear if necessary. I will be ok to travel further (20 mins drive) if better location are available a little further. Bream, whiting, flathead, taylor, etc should all be good for the boys to have some fun with. We plan to throw everything back so even if they're a little under size they should still be fun as the boys have not caught anything of significance in the few fishing endeavors.

Was up there earlier this year (October), mainly fished off broadbeach. There was a huge gutter running across the entire beach, and this was opposite First Avenue. Caught a few thumper bream (one pushing 50cm) as well as plenty of dart, and a few whiting. The whiting were on worms and everything else caught on pippies which are easy to catch fresh on the low tide. The spit breakwall is okay if you can cast out far enough as there are some whiting, trevally and bream and mangrove jack if lucky enough, but if you can't get out far enough expect to snag up a fair bit haha. Not sure of the Nerang River but I'm sure that would have your typical estuary species in it.

Cheers,

Tom :)