Newport beach - 4/1/15

SgtBundy

Grabbed some fresh squid and mullet to have a crack on the high tide on dark at Newport. I hoped the storms moving through would also help stir things up. Arrived around 7 and setup keeping an eye on the storms. They seemed to stay out west but it got fairly dark early.

Before dark I got a hit on a full squid that got chopped in half and bit off a hook. Around 9 the storms felt like they were pushing in with some lightening and I packed up some gear in order to be able to make a quick exit but it proved to be not necessary.

Shortly after top of the tide I got some quick hits and struck on one which hooked up and pulled in a 40cm tailor, oddly it was hooked through the back. Not sure if it happened on the strike or in the fight but happy to have a take home.

After that the southerly kicked in hard which made it unpleasant but I stuck it out as the cloud cover was keeping it dark and the tailor to me suggested predators around so maybe a jewie was still a chance.

About 10ish I lifted the rod and it took off even though I had not felt a bite. It took a run but was pulled in with some more drag but put up a few minutes of fight with dashes back out as it came to shore. I had suspected a ray and was proven right with I think a banjo ray being the result. Unfortunately I didnt have pliers handy so had to cut the hooks and send it back with a new mouth piercing.

89f6b3f023df890d563f4a180da647eb.jpg

Packed up around 11.

Definitely a banjo ray shark mate!! They feel pretty good on the line but are dissapointing if you take the time and trouble to fillet and cook them. At least you got a decent tailor to take home!!

Cheers,

Greg

Lol - I used to have someone at work that would scream "ADRIANNNNNNNN" every time I answered the phone.

I was tempted to use the tailor but I had fresh squid and mullet on hand and only the day before Dad and I were discussing the right way to cook tailor - I thought I would have something to bring home for once :)

I feel like I am dialing it in - still need to work on spotting beach structure I think.