Kings North Head, Sydney Wednesday 7 Jan

The Rev

Hi Fellow Raiders

After a few trips out to the harbour for a variety of fish post Christmas, it was time to target some kings. With a short window of time Wednesday morning and very vcalm winds we headed out from Little Manly in the tinny to hunt some squid. Unfortunately no luck on the low tide :-( I only seem to be able to find them on high tides my end of the harbour. so with some fresh pills we headed out to North head. We burlied up with some chopped pilchard cubes and then sank 2 3/4 pills down the trail but out of the bait fish picking. Within 5 minutes we hooked up solid on my new kingy outfit (Shimano Talica12 loaded with 65lb braid and 80lb leader - I have lost that many good kings on my old gear that did;t have the stopping power.). After a short fight with the drag locked up - into the net came my first legal kin for a while - a 76cm model. Happy days on board!

post-9863-0-90822000-1420952023_thumb.jpg

We stayed for another 45 minutes and caught another 4 kings - all undersized. They were from a 40cm puppy to about 62cm. All returned to live another day and grow bigger.

I came home to a happy wife who loves fresh fish and we had sashimi that night - here is the half eaten plate. It disappeared before I could get a shot off on my camera.

post-9863-0-03997400-1420952249_thumb.jpg

tight lines

the Rev

Well done!

Thats some stopping power you have now!

Its going to come in handy if you latch on to a metre Kingie!

thats what I'm hoping for... I've been reefed too many times in the past 2 years. It was my 50th birthday present!

Well done bud. A question, what sort of tinny do you have. I have one to but I'm not sure if it's strong or big enough to take out around the heads of both the harbour and botany Bay. is a 12 ft tinny and 6hp engine to small and slow to venture around those areas (conditions permitting).

Hi Ojay

I have 12ft deep V tinny with a 15hp on the back. I rarely go beyond Old Mans Hat inside the outer North Head and only then when conditions are ok (typically when you get a NE wind it is protected and I am going out from Little Manly). I was able to get out Wednesday as it was very low winds (4-6knots) and only 1 ft of swell. You would struggle with a 6hp and I know I wouldn't do it without the 15hp. Hope that helps

The Rev