Shellharbour wide

manhands

Left early Saturday morning, joined the boat ramp queue at 5am...

Got out to Kiama Canyons by 6.30am, water was a lovely blue and encouraging 23.5 degrees.

Well the lures did some km's, no hits at all, ocean was pretty dead we saw no birds or fish apart from the odd Albatross and Flying fish.

Decided to stop wasting juice and headed in to Kiama FAD. No-one there, but only caught a few rat kings and dollies so decided hit the old faithful Bass point for some King action.

We were probably 5km off Minnamurra when started to see some bait getting smashed so out came the lures again. Not a minute later hooked a decent Dollie which threw hook on first jump.. back out and in gear the same lure hit straight away. This one stayed on a bit longer but came off under boat. Shattered.

Lure straight back in and within 5 minutes had line screaming off it. Got through the tailwalking and headshaking and it was around a metre long, dived deep under boat and started to really fight. Every time got it 5m under boat it took off. Finally within reach and my mate managed to completely botch the gaffing and it got off.

Devastated. Not only was I now 0/3 but the last one was the biggest Dollie I've ever hooked.

Checked lure barb slightly bent in so fixed it and all lures back in again.

Baitfish had gone by this time and we trolled for 20 minutes toward Bass point before the same rig screams line again. Determined not to lose this one I decided I'd be gaffing, this fish get on surface and zig-zagged a lot though was a Stripey but got to boat and it's the biggest fattest Salmon I've ever caught. Went 75cm long and was full of pillies.

So had a little bonus at end, as this is my PB Salmon, but shattered to have lost the Dollies.

On the positive side the conditions were best have had in months, the water is warm, and the Dollies are growing very quickly.

Got back ramp and saw Marlin and stud Dollie carcasses around cleaning area to remind me of what we missed.

post-18470-0-23710500-1421633664_thumb.jpg

post-18470-0-36972800-1421633671_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I was having a few quiet beers in Shell Harbour pub Saturday arvo (best ocean views) at about ? 4:30pm and there was a big school of ??? smashing up bait fish fo about 25 minutes + slowly drifting Nth. It was only a K or so off shore and about 3 or 4 footy fields in size. Only one boat got out there after he had just loaded on the trailer he re dipped drove out to them and I'm sure got amongst it!