Help me buy my boat- Renegade or Sniper

hughsnews

Hey All,

Long time since I last posted, too busy fishing! :-)

So I have decided to upgrade my boat to something between the 420-450 size.

Was looking at either

Renegade 420(SC)

Engine options: 50hp EFI 4 stroke Suzuki

50hp Evinrude ETEC (2000$ less expensive)

Anglapro Sniper pro 444(SC).

Mercury 60hp 4 STROKE.

We primarily fish estuary and freshwater- but are now getting into wanting to fish the bays and outside the heads on a nice day. We like the size of the 420 as with fresh water, it's great to get yourself into those tighter tree filled bays etc but the anglapro looks good too and is a bit larger.

They are basically the same boat in the sense of layout. Just curious if anyone can comment on the slightly different hull designs in the sense of stability. Also, with two big(6ft+) blokes on the boat, if we both stand on the casting platforms, will the boat lean a lot or is it fairly stable when still? We have a very flat boat at the moment so it's very stable, just curious if with these deeper vhulls we should expect a lot more instability as we move around?

Finally, is it worth going for the 4strokes or is the ETEC a good engine(its a few grand cheaper).

Any advice from you guys would be amazing!!!!

Hugh

I cant comment on the sniper but I do have a 420 renegade sc powered by a 50hp 4st yammie and I love it The ride is very good in a bit of rough stuff and the stability is good as well with my 88kg on the front deck and my mates 100kg on the back It doesn't lean much at all due to the width of the hull I wont get into the debate on engines but my mates who do a lot more hours on the water than me are running yammies or hondas

The Telwater factory fit Evinrude for a reason and that is why any Stacer / Quntrex or Savage will be better priced with the Evinrude. Plus best warranty, lowest service costs and SST prop so add that to any other brand especially the service cost and the initial buy price will be even more. p-refer the Stacer range due to a deeper vee at the transom resulting in a better ride and considering a 429 Outlaw, console version with 50HP Evinrude, all factory professionally rigged-not done by some cheap labour at a dealers is under $18K it is very hard to beat both for performance or value. If you have not priced up the Stacer it is worth looking at and we keep 429 Outlaw in stock if you would like to view one.

i have a 420 renegade tiller with a 50hp four stroke yamaha
The engine was only fitted a week ago so only have a few hours on it and havnt opened it up as yet

You need max hp if running with heavy loads ie 3 fat blokes or loaded with gear

cant comment on fuel usage as yet with such low hours but super quiet smooth holds revs and planes quickly, the 50hp yamaha is a 4 cyclinder 996cc engine vesus others with 2 cyclinder or 3 cyclinder and smaller capcity engines

I personally would never run a 2 stroke ever again, especially if you want to be freshwater fishing in lakes and creeks etc, nothing will scare the fish off than a noisy 2 stroke. Fuel usage isn't as good as a 4 stroke either. The ony

Upside to a 2 stroke I can see is it gets out of the hole a lot quicker but really what do that matter?

Plus your putting oil in it all the time. Pfft I can't stand 2 strokes now even etecs, I know there supposed to be quieter than your average 2 stroke but there no where near as quiet as a 4 stroke.

I personally would never run a 2 stroke ever again, especially if you want to be freshwater fishing in lakes and creeks etc, nothing will scare the fish off than a noisy 2 stroke. Fuel usage isn't as good as a 4 stroke either. The ony

Upside to a 2 stroke I can see is it gets out of the hole a lot quicker but really what do that matter?

Plus your putting oil in it all the time. Pfft I can't stand 2 strokes now even etecs, I know there supposed to be quieter than your average 2 stroke but there no where near as quiet as a 4 stroke.

E-TEC is the cleanest engine made-fact and no lake regulate engine technology, just emissions and the Evinrude is cleaner than any 4-Stroke. You are living in the past comparing an old tech carby engine to a modern 4-Stroke. A modern DI 2-Stroke does everything any brand of 4-Stroke does but goes better, has less moving parts and has proven to last a long time in salt water. As for oil, again you are not talking from fact, a DI will use about $60 worth of oil over a year so it will cost more to change the sump oil. yes at idle some 4-Stroke are quieter than other engines, but up on the plane at cruising speed it is a different story and some 4-Stroke are noiser. Fuel burn rates are better too on a DI, especially at idle-a I-2 E-TEC uses 0.4L/hr-no 4-Stroke will come cloae to that-again facts.

You are entitled to an opinion but please stick to facts and compare modern to modern and if you prefer 4-Stroke that is fine with me, just i hope you are not one of the people with sump and heads issues down the track..

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

What sump and head issues are you talking about?

At wide open throttle which would burn more fuel? A yami 4 stroke 40 or etec 40?

I've been in a new stacer with a new etec in it and it was a lot noisier than my yami. Just going from what I have seen.

And I am just going from what I see and work on daily. Sumps and heads corrode and why there is anodes internally that need to be replaced. At WOT fuel burn would be similar but I bet the E would be going faster. At the end of the day if you like what you like that is great and I prefer what I prefer as does the biggest boat builder in Oz and dealers that have been doing this for over 50 years, so have some experience in their opinion.

Fair enough mate I'm not trying to have a crack I know you work on them daily and have years of experience on them. I just like what I like and if some performs for me a few days a week flawlessly and takes little maintance I have nothing to complain about.