Central Coast rocks - 26/1/15

bobbybaccala

Hey all,

Had a rare day off work on Australia Day, and the swell and general weather was looking poor, so a mate and I decided to scout some popular locations on the Central Coast with the intention of taking a couple of short fishing trips up there in the next few months. Arrived at the general location around 730, but spent about the next 1.5h trying to find the specific ledge.

We finally arrived at the ledge and it looked incredible; we are looking forward to heading back there another time. Swell was massive and whilst it was safe, it wasn't enjoyable to fish it, so we chose a spot around the corner from the swell. We were fishing lightly weighted half pillies into the wash, always a lot of fun.

I've had good success this year fishing unweighted from the rocks, pulling in snapper up to 45cm. However today my mate was the one getting the fish, 2 pan sized snapper and a 45cm as well... an incredible result from the rocks! I wasn't getting much so I switched to hawksbury squid, using the whole hood of a smaller squid. Straight away I hooked on to something massive; it felt like a rat king diving for structure! A minute or so later I pulled it up, a 49cm snapper!!

Absolutely stoked! I really didn't know snapper that big were available so close to a ledge. We fished for a couple of hours after that, then got stuck in the long weekend traffic jam back to Sydney.

I was fishing 30lb braid, 50cm of 20lb leader, down to a 2/0 hook. Fishing with salted pilchards and squid.

Cheers!

post-33377-0-04949000-1422592671_thumb.jpg

post-33377-0-74919600-1422592693_thumb.jpg

post-33377-0-49024000-1422592698_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobbybaccala