When you flick for bream, you get flatties...

adamski

... and when you flick for flatties, you get bream!

Hey raiders.

Went for a flick around Iron Cove today, desperate to improve the flathead PB. Armed with 10lb leader, larger lure profiles (nuclear chicken jerk shad, silver fox, bigger wrigglers) and a good 3 hours of run out tide on a warm afternoon to play with, it was bound to happen, right?

Nope, instead I ended getting bream. Biggest was close to 30 cm. All taken on the silver fox (smallest profile I used today). One of these days a 50 cm+ lizard will be mine!

post-33473-0-99682300-1423389880_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-09623700-1423389897_thumb.jpg

Sounds good dude!

Work's been quiet again this week, so I went out for a flick around Milson's Point this arvo. Got another 25 cm bream on my last motor oil Zman Grubz (your advice paid off man!), then had a speculative few casts at Lavender Bay from the sea wall- looked like good flattie territory: mix of sand, weed beds and a nice little drop off. Sure enough, first cast and I feel good weight on the lift. Bizarre thing starts swimming in towards the shore when I hook it, so I'm frantically reeling in slack line. I "fight" the flattie onto the little beach there (it kind of beaches itself if I'm honest) and it's easily the biggest one I've caught- about 50 cm I reckon. Start walking round from the sea wall to the beach, reeling in to keep my line tight, and the thing shakes its head and does the stupid bloody wriggle-sliver back into the drink. I was livid! :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: I may have scared a few folk doing exercise round there with some rather loud obscenities... :1crybaby:

Although you didn't get a hand on it, I reckon you had him.

You hooked it, played it , and it came ashore.

Do you think if you didn't keep the tension on, maybe..?

Once out of the water, with less resistance in the air, fish flap faster and harder.

Making it easier to dislodge a hook.

Sorry, just putting it out there

No need to apologise man, it's a good point and one I'll try to bare in mind in future. I watched a few flattie advice videos on youtube and was trying to pay attention to keeping the rod tip down to keep the fish away from the surface as I was bringing it in, but should have thought about trying to keep it in the water til I was ready. Just really wanted that bigger specimen! Next time I'll know better, thanks for the tip! :)

where in lane cove did you fish buddy? im looking for a spot also. google map and ping it out if you could~ much apprecaited

Hey bud, sorry I was in Iron Cove, not Lane Cove. If you're interested in fishing IC let me know and I'll send you a pm with some good spots.